From:
Dawn Dutton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dawn Dutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 2004 13:00:45 -0500

I asked if Thorn Apple Valley Bacon was gluten free and got the
following response.

Dawn @ the Jersey Shore

+++++++++++

Thank you for your inquiry regarding Thorn Apple Valley Bacon. We do not
maintain a written list as ingredients may change.   If you have
questions
regarding a specific product, please call our consumer number:
800/233-6332
or e-mail [log in to unmask]  Have the UPC number available so we can
access the correct product.

Our Tyson Fresh and IFF (Individually Fresh Frozen) Chicken do not
contain
gluten.  There is no gluten added to the chicken.  The marinade consists
of
chicken broth, sodium phosphates, salt, and flavorings.  The flavorings
contain powdered cooked chicken.
A lot of people assume that "flavorings" contain gluten; however, the
USDA
labeling regulations restrict the ingredients that may be grouped as
flavorings or natural flavors.  Here is a link to the USDA website that
has
great information regarding what can be included:
http://www.fsis.usda.gov/OA/FAQ/flavorings.htm

Gluten is protein complex that is formed when water is kneaded with
wheat
flour which brings about the removal of a large portion of the starch.
Gluten is also available as wheat gluten, corn gluten and zein.  Breaded
items may contain one of these grain; however, it will be listed in the
Ingredient Statement.

We appreciate your interest in our products.