Date:
Mon, 12 Mar 2007 05:50:44 -0700

I had posted a few weeks ago about finding gluten-free, sugar-free peanut butter to replace the Sugar-Free Peter Pan I used to eat. I was given the names of many brands. The ones I was able to check out are below. I noticed in my research that there isn’t much difference between sugar-free peanut butter and the "natural" peanut butters. So, since no sugar-free versions are readily available to me right now, I have chosen Skippy Natural. I really like the flavor and consistency. Small amounts of sugar are a big deal, though, so as soon as the Sugar-Free Peter Pan is available again, I’m going to switch back.

  Angela Taylor (Tulsa, Oklahoma)
  ___________________________

  Arrowhead Mills: Lists several nut butters under gluten-free products on their website. All nut butters seem to be free of added sugar
  http://www.arrowheadmills.com/

  Crazy Richard's (also Krema): Makes only peanut butter. States on the website that the peanut butter is gluten-free. (Does not list ingredients on website.)
  http://crazyrichards.com

  Kroger: I got the following information from the company:
  "Thank you for contacting The Kroger Co. We currently have an extensive list of gluten-free products; however, we are unable to provide the list to the public for safety reasons. Our products come from many different suppliers, and since these suppliers change periodically, we would not want an old list to be in circulation.
  "Please feel free to call our toll-free number (1-800-632-6900) with inquiries about gluten-free products; our representatives will be happy to assist you and provide you with the most up-to-date information. Or, if you prefer, you may e-mail us with your questions on specific products (we must have the product UPC code in order to research the product). While the list is extensive, it is not complete, but we will do our best to research the items in question.
  Thanks again for your inquiry, and we look forward to helping you in the future.
  Sincerely,
  Brandy Willis
  Consumer Affairs"
  There is not a Kroger’s in my area.

  Maranatha: Produces a number of nut butters. On their website: "...they are free of any gluten-containing ingredients and are produced in a facility that does not process gluten-containing ingredients." The "No Stir" and "Honey" peanut butters contain added sugar. The others are free of added sugar.
  http://www.worldpantry.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce/ExecMacro/nspired/maranatha/home.d2w/report

  Skippy: According to the website, "…all varieties of Skippy® peanut butter, Roasted Honey Nut, and Reduced Fat peanut butter spread are gluten-free." Since this does not mention their Carb Option version, I emailed them. The company wrote me back saying:
  "Thanks so much for writing!
  Please contact our toll free Consumer Service Department @ 1 (866) 744-4453 for any ingredient inquiries.
  "Your friends at Unilever
  sdM"
  This bugged me, but since none of the stores in my area carry it anyway, I decided not to pursue it further.
  http://www.peanutbutter.com/

  Smucker’s (J.M. Smucker Company includes: Smucker's, Jif, Adams, and Laura Scudder's): Many people wrote questioning my avoidance of Smucker's Brand. I posted a summary about this in August of last year
  http://listserv.icors.org/SCRIPTS/WA-ICORS.EXE?A2=ind0608E&L=CELIAC&P=R1690&I=-3
  Since then, I have stopped using Smucker's products and have noticed a marked decrease in symptoms, so until they can verify products as gluten-free or not, I’m avoiding them. Their Natural Peanut Butter does not contain added sugar.
  http://www.smuckers.com/

  Trader Joe’s: They’ve changes their website lately and they no longer have a list of their gluten-free foods (that I could find). However, many of their products are gluten-free. Trader Joe’s is not available in my area.
  http://www.traderjoes.com/

  Whole Foods Market brands: For a list of private label brand under Whole Foods, see:
  http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/products/list_privatelabel.html
  According to their website, "Whole Foods Market is a leader in offering gluten-free products. We have a separate baking facility that is dedicated exclusively to the creation of gluten-free products, which eliminates the possibility of cross-contamination."
  http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/

  Many people wrote saying that many health food stores have "grind your own peanut butter" stations. I’m surprised so many people are using these because I would think that cross-contamination would be a big problem. That’s a personal decision, though. I generally avoid bulk anything unless it is prepackaged.

  I got one suggestion to make my own in a food processor "...and it will taste much better than anything store-bought as long as your peanuts aren't stale. Just dump the peanuts into the processor bowl with the blade, and process until you have PB. For some extra interest add some carob powder -- it makes a great snack for children. This will need to be refrigerated, but the oils won't separate as long as it is kept cold." Ironically, I love peanut butter but hate peanuts so I never buy them. This might be an option sometime down the road, though.