From:
Asya Gelfand <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Asya Gelfand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Apr 2006 19:29:13 -0700

Hello all,

My apologies - I meant to do this a long time ago, and then I saw today's
message with the same question that I posted a while ago..

Thank you all for the answers regarding SF and the Bay area GF. Some of you
sent your own summaries, so I'm posting those as well.

Stores: Whole Foods and Trader Joe's are the major ones carrying a nice
selection of GF stuff in SF. I found that WF (on Franklin & California) have
the better selection. Also, supermarkets such as Cal-Mart (Laurel Village)
and Cala-Foods have some stuff too.

Dining:

Jane  recommended Outback which has a GF menu (in Sausalito) and Nick's
Lighthouse, where she was able to have the chef make a few changes.

Terri recommended Crave, A San Francisco Bakery - cravebakery.org  -
brownies, cookies, etc. they have a list of locations where their goodies
can be found.

Jeff suggested  www.goodhealthpublishing.com for a list of 105+
national/regional restaurants and their lists of gluten/wheat free items.

Summary 1:

Anne  forwarded to me the following summary that was posted by Marian from
Feb. '05 list:

Restaurant list:

Rainforest Cafe
Alioto's
Lori's Diners
Frantoio's
Scoma's
The Fish Market
Max's Deli
Hobees
PF Changs
Outback
Whole Foods (groceries)
Trader Joes (groceries)

Following are excerpts from responses I received:

Contact Rainforest Cafe at their website and they will accommodate you =
in=20
S.F. =20
Alioto's and Fisherman's Grotto on the pier. Great view.

Lori's Diners...a chain. Just make sure your eggs are not mixed in with =
the pancakes, etc.=20
They're all designed like 1950's era.

Marin county.... Frantoio's or something like that,=20
where they actually press olives in a real olive press in front of the=20
diners....behind glass. Expensive. Not kid oriented.

... Scoma's, where I've had great meals....in Sausalito...
I think there is also a Scoma's at Fisherman's Wharf in=20
S.F.

South of the airport in the San Mateo area is The Fish Market. Loved =
their=20
food. Lots of choices.=20

Max's Deli, where you can buy lo-carb....just meat...dishes and I'm =
sure, salads. Not sure of the night,=20
but the waiters sing opera sometimes. There are other Max's Deli's in =
the=20
city. The portions are enormous and everyone enjoyed the ice cream =
sodas.

"Hobee's" in the Palo Alto, Mountain View and Sunnyvale area.=20
They are kid friendly, they have veggie=20
meals, BUT I can not guarantee that you will get a gluten-free meal.=20
http://www.hobees.com/

PF Chang's in Sunnyvale w/ GF menu.

PF Changs.  Outback.  Both of those places are kid friendly and would =
have veg. options.  Maybe not so much at Outback but they do have salads =
and steamed veggies. =20

I sent a summary to the list regarding SF and the Cuppertino areas for =
food options.  Here is one of the links I got for information:
Click here: San Francisco Bay Area Celiac Support Groups Restaurants =
with Gluten Free Items=20

Try going to www.goodhealthpublishing.com for a list of 59 =
national/regional
restaurants and their lists of gluten/wheat free items. There's also a
gluten free dining card that can be presented to restaurant personnel to
ease the ordering process.

Summary 2 ( by Shereen):

Hi, Thanks to all for your suggestions.  First there is a website,
>www.bayareaceliacs.org/restaurants.htm, which is a blog on restaurants
>in the Bay Area.  They don't have restaurants that have gluten free menus
>except for the usual Outbacks and PF Chang's, etc.  That was disappointing.
>I am from New York and we are fortunate to have numerous restaurants with
>special GF menus courtesy of GFRAP. The Bay Area should too!
>
>Old files were generously provided, but some restaurants and cafes that
>were accommodating are no more, like Alma's.  The Dolores Park Cafe's
gluten
>free baker passed away,I was told, and not replaced.
>
>I went to an organic live food restaurant, reasonably priced and lovely,
>Cafe Gratitude, located at 1336 9th Ave, which is near Golden Gate
>Park. It is also  at 2400 Harrison St in SF and 1730 Shattuck Ave in
Berkeley.
>Its web site is at www.CafeGratitude.com.  They said that most of
their  menu
>is gluten free except for what contained soy sauce.  I felt okay after
eating
>their pizza, no stomach complaints nor telling DH symptoms.  I would highly
>recommend them.
>
>I went to Eric's, a Chinese restaurant in Noe Valley (Sanchez and 27th)
that
>was recommended. They were not very communicative about the gf, and I was
>disappointed in this. I was steered away from the mango chicken by the
waiter,
>who said that it might have soy sauce.  He would not let me talk to the
cook
>or manager (not there he said).  I had a cod dish and veggie/tofu with
white
>sauce dishes.  I did not get sick, but was turned off to their lack of
>communication.  Would not go back there.
>
>I went to Amberjack Sushi, also on 27th and Sanchez.  It was fine.  My
friend
>insisted on my getting vinegar free rice and they were accomodating.  My
>friend recommends this restaurant for the quality of the sushi.
>
>I was told that the Daily Grill at 347 Gearywas accomodating.  I went to
>Buckeye's in Marin.  The waiter's mother in law had celiac disease,
>miraculously, and he was helpful.  However, I itched my DH the next day. I
had
>eaten simply with salad fish and veggies.

Eat well and stay healthy!

Cheers,

Asya