Date:
Sun, 13 Dec 2009 19:14:15 -0500

I asked for assistance in a “Marinade for Smoking Turkey.”  Yes, I smoked the turkey and it was moist and good.  Thank you ALL for the suggestions and below is the summary.  I loved the first one -- it is great to laugh, isn’t it (my subject line in the question was “Marinade for Smoking Turkey”!
---
I don't have a marinade for you but my sense of humor kicked in when I read the "subject" line.  I immediately thought - well nicotine-free of course.
Gabriele (from Ohio)
---
Try this one, it's great:  www.norlandersoriginal.com  They have teriyaki sauce and mesquite sauce.  Both wonderful and GF.  One of the owners is celiac.  Betty
---
I just mix a cup of salt, a cup of sugar, and a gallon of water: soak the bird in an ice chest for a day while it thaws out. This soaks into the meat and changes the protein structure so it stays more tender while smoking.  You can use apple cider instead of the water if you want to get fancy, or honey instead of sugar. Or you can rub the outside with a spice mix (like Montreal steak seasoning). But really, the wood smoke adds most of the flavor. And people aren't used to turkeys being highly spiced.
---
I don't have a marinade for you but my sense of humor kicked in when I read the "subject" line.  I immediately thought - well nicotine-free of course.
Gabriele (from Ohio)
---
Moore's is gluten free.  Found in most groceries.
---
I always use the Tone's Canadian Steak Seasoning mixture. It's good for steaks, chicken, turkey, or whatever. I get the large container at Sam's.
---
Most marinades are easily converted - the primary culprits are soy sauce - which tamarind
is GF and molasses which Brer Rabbit is not available GF.  Beyond that white wines, vinegar, brown sugar, individual spices (not spice mixes) are GF.  While I am not giving you one individual marinade you left it pretty broad relative to your taste.  Happy to assist if you are more specific - but I gave you a rule of thumb. - Dana
---
I brined a turkey for Thanksgiving for the first time and everyone raved about it.  I baked it but it would probably be just as good smoked.  The brine recipe is below.  It was very moist and had a great flavor but don't worry it did not taste like the fruit.  Keep in mind that brined turkeys cook a little faster than unbrined.

1 (12 fluid ounce) can frozen orange juice
concentrate, thawed
1 orange, sliced
1 lemon, sliced
1 lime, sliced
1 tablespoon dried thyme

1 tablespoon ground black pepper
3 cloves garlic
2 bay leaves
1 cup kosher salt
1 1/2 gallons water
Directions:
1. Combine the orange juice concentrate, orange slices, lemon slices, lime slices, thyme, pepper, garlic, bay leaves, salt, and water in a large stockpot; bring to a boil. Remove from heat and allow too cool to room temperature.
2. Wash and dry your turkey. Make sure you have removed the innards. Place the turkey, breast down, into the brine. Make sure that the cavity gets filled. Place the bucket in the refrigerator. Allow turkey to marinate 1 to 2 days before cooking. Remove the turkey carefully. Drain and discard the excess brine and pat dry.
3. Cook the turkey as desired reserving the drippings for gravy.  - Cece
---
My husband simply rubs it down with olive oil and a bit of Kosher Salt.  The Olive oil seals in the juices.  It is the wood chip smoke that gives it all its flavor!  Are you water smoking?  If so, you can add a few things to the water pan and this also gets into the meat.  If you want to know what to put in I will have to ask my hubby cause I never watch him.  Lynda  P. S.  A lot of people also brine their bird, but I find that it is WAY to salty for my taste when this is done.