From:
d hemingson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jul 2002 16:05:37 -0700

Dear Listmates;

here is the article in question from medscape and
someone informed me that a typo was probably made and
it should read 0.92%, I believe...or he believes, but
he has not had time to check original source...so I
guess it was too good to be true...some of us are
hoping for a miracle and I know that I have myself
convinced that gluten may be a larger problem than we
could have ever imagined so this error certainly
fueled me (pun) to tell everyone this amazing
study...so. I feel a little foolish and wonder how
many people have I misinformed this past week??  Be
well, Donna

     Question

     Is it possible to use a kidney from a patient
with celiac disease for subsequent

     transplantation? Is such a procedure justified
with regard to immunosuppression and the

     inherent risk of transmitting lymphocytes that
may induce disease and, furthermore, the

     increased incidence of lymphoma in patients with
celiac disease?

     Marcus Saemann, MD

     Response

     from Flavio Vincenti, MD, 06/18/2002

     There are 2 potential problems associated with
kidney donation from a patient with celiac

     disease: the potential risks of lymphoma and IgA
nephropathy. Celiac disease is associated

     with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (NHL), especially the
T-cell type; is primarily localized in the gut;

     and peak incidence is in the sixth and seventh
decade. In a recently published study of 653

     patients with NHL, 92% had celiac disease,[1] and
patients with celiac disease have a 3-fold

     increased risk of NHL. The other problem is
subclinical IgA deposition in the glomeruli, which

     should disappear after transplantation and not
cause disease.[2] Thus, individuals with celiac

     disease can safely donate kidneys, provided that
they have a normal urine analysis and are

     screened for NHL if there is clinical suspicion
or at the discretion of the transplant center, if

     they are over age 60 years.