From:
Debra Berke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 13 Jul 2007 08:37:26 EDT

I received 10 responses to my query about  anti-inflammatory diets,
specifically the one by Monica Reinagel. Thanks to  those who responded.
One person  recommended: www.drfuhrman.com - his autoimmune plan. Within
weeks of  starting it my inflammatory markers dropped to normal levels. I follow
his autoimmune plan minus all nightshade vegetables (tomato, eggplant  and
potato). I started it last July. Before that I just couldn't get  my inflammatory
markers or BP down. Dr Fuhrman practices  relatively near you in NJ. Two of
my friends started following his plan  because of inflammation and got the same
great  results.

Another said: You don't need to follow a  diet.....add one aloe vera capsule
and one omega 3 to diet....they combat  inflammation. Take capsules...Nature's
Way. This info came from a symposium  given by md's for pharmacists on the
latest  research.
Two people recommended the Specific  Carbohydrate Diet: I've been on the
Specific Carbohydrate Diet (as written up in  Breaking the Vicious Cycle,
available at Amazon), and it's been great.  I  can see a huge difference - I'm feeling
better faster. It's tough to stick  to, but not as bad as some other diets
(you can still have weak coffee, dry red  wine, lactose-free cheeses, but no
grains or refined  sugars). I felt the difference after 5 days.  I was  also
having a lot of lower abdominal pain that is virtually gone 3 weeks into  the
diet.

There are websites on it, _www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info _
(http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/) is the official one.  It gets mentioned pretty
often on the  glutenfreeforums (at _celiac.com_ (http://celiac.com/) ) if you
want to  go there and search some of the threads for it (they call it the SCD
diet).

One of the key things to know is you have to make your own  yogurt.  I was a
little daunted by this at first, but I bought a yogurt  maker on Amazon after
the first week on the diet had been so successful.   And I have to say, my
homemade yogurt is pretty darn tasty!  Throw in some  honey and blueberries and
I'm all set.

Let me know if I can answer any  more questions for you - here's the official
book link on  Amazon:

_http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Vicious-Cycle-Intestinal-Through/dp/0969276818
/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-5965596-8981626?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1184025834&sr=8-1_
(http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Vicious-Cycle-Intestinal-Through/dp/0969276818/r
ef=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-5965596-8981626?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1184025834&sr=8-1)

Also, if you do try it, I recommend this recipe  book:
_http://www.amazon.com/Grain-free-Gourmet-Delicious-Recipes-Healthy/dp/1552856
682/ref=pd_sim_b_2/002-5965596-8981626?ie=UTF8&qid=1184025834&sr=8-1 _
(http://www.amazon.com/Grain-free-Gourmet-Delicious-Recipes-Healthy/dp/1552856682/ref
=pd_sim_b_2/002-5965596-8981626?ie=UTF8&qid=1184025834&sr=8-1)

Much more tasty  than the recipes they give in the official diet  book.

Another said: There are countless "anti-inflammatory" diets that I have
heard of and I have also tried many. I found them to be rather similar and
generally useful, especially for inflammatory or rheumatic conditions. Some  diets
are more restrictive than others and it depends on your condition which is
best for you. All the diets I have seen that make clinical sense remove refined
grains, gluten, dairy, meats, sometimes nightshades and omega 6 based fats.
They  should encourage intake of fruits, vegetables, Omega 3 fats and fresh
water.  Now, I must also state that none of these diets are truly "inflammation
free,”  merely that they aid in reducing inflammation.

One person recommended:  If you go to www.mercola.com, the Dr. has quite a
bit of  info about good fats like fish oil and how they minimize inflammation.
You  can use his search box to find the type of inflammation issue you are
dealing  with. Good luck.
Another recommendation: Have  you read the book Ultrametaboism by Mark Hyman?
There is an interesting chapter  on an inflammation free diet.
Only one said: I have tried Monica's diet and believe it is a big piece  of
the getting healthy puzzle.  I have actually designed a health promotion
campaign using some of her principles as well as others. I looked at all three  AF
diets but at the movement all the names escape me.  I found hers to be  the
best.

The name of my campaign is I Have a Dream and There Are No  Magic Bullets.
The magic bullet is...just give up gluten and you'll be  fine...and I think for
lots of us...it's not enough.  I have to watch my  salt, chemicals, gluten,
and the biggie....sugars...I call them the "oses"   glucose, sucrose,
dextrose...etc...And let's do talk about portion control too  at some point.  I have a
dream that one day Bone Fish Grill will have an  "abundant grain bread...like
Millet and Flax seed bread.  Wouldn't that be  nice...

Do look at Monica's book...it also the most down to earth...where  you don't
have to buy all sorts of exotic stuff...and her recipes were more  flexible as
I remembered.  The tea stuff is nice in one of the other  books...

Another response: I have not tried either of these diets.  But replacing corn
& sesame with sorghum flour/tapioca flours and  taking calcium citrate w/
meals to reduce absorption of oxalates has made  a significant improvement in the
level of inflammation I  experience. (I know corn & sesame are considered
highly inflammatory  foods by Reinegel.)
I have a friend with serious  arthritis. A year ago he was hobbling in pain
like a very old man. He  bought the book, "Strong Women & Men Beat Arthritis"
by Miriam Nelson.   He has followed this protocol for nearly a year. The
difference is remarkable.  He no longer hobbles & is enjoying his life again.
I don't know how Reinegel's diet compares to  Nelson's, but I'm guessing they
are have many  similarities.
Deb, Newark, DE