From:
Mary Bennett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Bennett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Sep 2005 10:34:12 -0400

It might not be related to gluten (though, of course, it might BE as
well) ... and it sounds a lot like it could be sciatica pain.

http://www.medinfo.co.uk/conditions/sciatica.html

http://www.mayoclinic.com/invoke.cfm?id=DS00516

Another possibility is osteoarthritis in your hip.

http://www.gpnotebook.co.uk/simplepage.cfm?ID=-778436597

I have pretty severe osteoarthritis in many of my joints, including
my knees and hips -- and there is no doubt, at least in my case, that
it is exacerbated by gluten.  Like so many other things, I think it
is only a matter of time before they connect the dots between this
disease and CD.

-Suzanne

Is it common for intestinal pain to radiate to a hip?

Not in my experience, and I'm a massage therapist.  If it were on your
right, or if you were one of the 1/200 with guts reversed, your IC valve
could make your back or knee hurt.
    I would suspect that you have a hard fall not straight on your rear
end,
but to one side, and set off your obturator muscle and that's pinching
the
nerve to the adductors, inside the thighs, which tighten and make the
gluts
tired so they hurt.  However, there's a shorter way to get there.  If
your
guts were inflamed enough to irritate the peritoneum, that would set off
gracilis which continues the same fascia out of the pelvis down the
inside
of the leg to the knee.  With that tightened, then the gluts get feeling
tired and beleagered.  Same effect, different route.  Donna

I had pain that radiated from my hip to my knee and then, after a few
months, got worse and went to my foot.  It was not a twisted bowel, it
was sciatica.  I went to a local chiropractor and within 2 months was
completely healed.  I get it back every now and again (years painfree in
between, tho).

Good luck,
Mia

------------------------

I had severe hip pain for several years before I was diagnosed as
celiac. Limped several years badly. Right hip/ My initial referral from
GP, who tried me on a number on painkillers, but never took a CBC, was
to ortho doctor.  Since you already have diagnosis of celiac, I do not
know if this info will help you, but good luck. After my anemia was
resolved, my hip pain went away, but it took several more years and
onset of dramtic symptoms before I finally got correct diagnosis.  My
hip hurts just a bit now from time to time, not too bad.

My daughter had bad bone pain before she was diagnosed with celiac.
We did some reading and concluded she had osteomalacia, a form of
rickets
found in celiacs.  She was taking 2000IU of Vit D  with cal/magnesium &
bonemeal (for phosphorus) and got rid of the bone pain.

I have hip pain (I am overweight but also celiac) and on the vit D my
pain
has
been getting better although it is not gone yet.  Maybe you have a bone
problem
from celiac interfering in vit D absorption?

You can read in the Merck Manual about this or put osteomalacia in
Google.
In adults it includes a softening of the bone in weightbearing joints,
and
then
when you put weight on it it causes pain.  That sounds like me.

Paula in Pa.

---------------------
I have the same thing, but didn't realize it could be connected to CD.
thought it was a hip muscle thing.  My entire hip and leg down to the
knee
ache so much, I lose a couple of nights sleep from it.  I've been gf
for
about 10 months, though based on my lab test results from EnteroLab, I'm
not
doing an adequate job of it.  I'd be interested in knowing what you find
out
from others.  Would you mind e-mailing a summary to me.  Sorry I can't
help
you, though, except to commisserate.

------------
My husband's osteopathic doctor said that an inflamed bowel can cause
other tissue to be inflamed as well, which she thinks is the link
between celiac and fibromyalgia.  She said that going on a GF diet
made
a "profound" difference in his tissue (and he isn't even the diagnosed
celiac in our family -- he is the supportive celiac's father) as well
as in the tissue of our celiac daughter.

Jackie in AZ

---------

i had chronic hip pain before going gf and never considered that it was
related to bowels until my son who was 5 at the time started having pain
in his hip...it started small and got worse each occurance until he woke
one morning screaming, dragging himself out of his room, stiff as a
board as bending at the hip caused excruciating pain.  we took him in,
doc did blood tests for necrosis of the hip and an x-ray.  both tests
were negative for any hip problem but the doc pointed out that his bowel
was "impacted"....it looked like a brain.  i said, no way, he has
healthy BM everyday!!!!  but there it was on the xray.  i suffered from
constipation at the time, but i didn't know he was.  i guess he had a
slow system.  So, i asked our acupuncturist if it could be related, she
said definitely...nerves were affected.  the doc said no relation...just
coincidence!!!  Anyway, the bowel was cleared, no more hip pain.
then, about 2 years later we were diagnosed w/ cd.  my son also started
getting severe allergies to pollen, joint pain, all the wierd seemingly
unrelated symptoms.

now,  if i get gluten the first thing that starts hurting is my hip.  my
son will mention hip pain once in a while and then i have him take
Calcium Magnesium Citrate (liquid) and it seems to loosen the bowels and
help his joint pain.

interesting...i just don't see any coincidence in any of it.  amazing!