From:
James Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Aug 1997 19:56:33 EDT

There are several techniques you can use to find something you remember
reading in a previous post.  All involve sending one or more "commands"
in an e-mail message, and then receiving the information back in one or
more e-mail messages.

The first thing to remember:  When you are sending commands, DON'T send
them to the address you use for posts.  Instead, you send them to the
Listserv addresss, which is:

All of the commands I will discuss in this post should be sent to the
listserv address.

If the post you are looking for was posted within the last week, and you
remember what day it was posted, you might find it easiest just to get
that day's digest.  There are always seven of these digests available,
one for each day of the week.  For example, if you want to find a post
that you read on the most recent Tuesday, just send this command to the
address listed above:

   GET CELIAC DIG-TUE

For any other day of the week, just substitute the 3-letter abbreviation
for that day in place of "TUE".

But what if you don't remember the specific day, or if it has been more
than a week?  Well, you could get an entire week's worth of posts.  For
example, to get all the posts for the first seven days of August send
this command:

   GET CELIAC LOG9708A

"97" is the year, "08" is the month, and "A" means the first week (days
1-7) of that month.  By substituting different values for the year,
month, and week in this command, you can go all the way back to January
1996 if you want to.

But you may not remember the week you want, or you might not wish to
plow through a whole week's worth of posts.  In that case, there is one
more technique you can use:  The SEARCH command, followed by one or more
GETPOST commands.

To use this technique, you need to remember one or more words or phrases
from the post you want.  For example, suppose you wanted to go back and
find a post someone wrote about a trip to Disneyland.  All you remember
is that it was sometime during the first half of this year.  Here is the
command you would send:

   SEARCH CELIAC Disney FROM 97/1/1 TO 97/7/31

(Notice that the dates are specified in this order:  Year/Month/Day.)
You will be sent back a message containing three parts:

  -- One line for each post that contains Disney, listing the date,
        subject, and an "item number",
  -- An example showing the command you would use to get all the posts
        which it found, and
  -- A few lines out of each post, showing where the word "Disney"
        occurs.

Here is part of the actual output from that SEARCH command:

----=====--=====--=====-- BEGINNING OF OUTPUT --=====--=====--=====----
> SEARCH CELIAC Disney FROM 97/1/1 TO 97/7/31
-> 8 matches.

Item #   Date   Time  Recs   Subject
------   ----   ----  ----   -------
010352 97/02/21 08:59   29   cookbook
011201 97/04/02 08:07   13   travel to Disneyland
011292 97/04/09 07:46   23   DISNEYWORLD
011350 97/04/13 06:31   44   Re: DISNEYWORLD + airline food
011582 97/04/26 22:47   17   walt disney world
011771 97/05/09 10:43   29   Disney World
012097 97/06/03 10:32   60   recent trip to disney world (long!)
012413 97/06/30 11:31   22   DisneyWorld Advice Needed

To order a copy of these postings, send the following command:

     GETPOST CELIAC 10352 11201 11292 11350 11582 11771 12097 12413

>>> Item #10352 (21 Feb 1997 08:59) - cookbook
been introduced to, by a chef that we met
while at DisneyWorld.
         ^^^^^^

From:         Moira <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      travel to Disneyland
                        ^^^^^^
[There is another 100 lines or so showing all the various places in
these posts where "Disney" occurs, which I've deleted]
-=====--=====--=====--=====- END OF OUTPUT -=====--=====--=====--=====-

The GETPOST command listed above can be used to get all 8 of the posts
that were found.  What are all those numbers in that command, you ask?
Take a look at the item numbers to the left of each of the items listed:
If you ignore the first "0", they are the same as the numbers in the
GETPOST command.  So you don't have to get all those posts, you can look
through the rest of the message and pick out which posts you want.  Just
make a note of the item numbers that go with each post.

After looking over the third part of the message, you probably would
decide that it is the 6th post ("Disney World") and 7th post ("recent
trip to disney world (long!)") that you really want, and not the others.
To get just those two posts, send the GETPOST command with just those
two item numbers, as follows:

   GETPOST CELIAC 11771 12097

You'll then be sent another e-mail message, this time containing the
two posts you want.

If you decide to search for something with two words, you need to put
it in quotes, like this:

   SEARCH CELIAC "Walt Disney" FROM 97/1/1 TO 97/7/31

If you don't use quotes, then it'll find all the posts that contain
either "Walt" or "Disney", which means you'll get a lot of posts you
don't want from everyone named Walt <g>.

One other point about quotes:  When you use quotes, it exactly matches
the capitalization; without quotes the capitalization is ignored.  So
in the previous example, a post containing "walt disney" would not be
found; but in the first example this post would be found.

If you feel particularly brave and hardy, you can leave off the dates
and get ALL the previous posts that contain the word or phrase you
specify.  For example, to get a list of all the posts which contain the
word "osteoporosis", you would send this command:

   SEARCH CELIAC osteoporosis

So if you lose a phone number, or can't find the e-mail address of
someone you want to write a note to, or want to review what Dr. Murray
once said about refractory sprue; try using the SEARCH and GETPOST
commands to find what you are looking for.  This technique works well,
and the turnaround is usually fast.

--
-- Jim Lyles ................... Home: [log in to unmask]
-- Holly, Michigan, USA ........ Work: [log in to unmask]