From:
Lisa Mandl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 2001 14:35:02 -0600

Hello everyone,

I placed calls today to Cascadian Farms, Gorton's Fish & Dean's to get
information about products I saw when I was in my local grocery store
this afternoon.

Cascadian Farms (800-624-4123) The person I spoke with said there is no
gluten free list since product formulations change fairly frequently.
He told me that if I saw something saying "new" on the packaging in
terms of flavoring or in the way it's made, I should call and double-
check the product's status.  He was very helpful.  I found out that all
the concentrated juices are ok, as are the frozen fruits and vegetables.
There was another product or two that he mentioned was ok, but I
apologize, it was cold standing there in the frozen section and I notice
I did not write down everything.  What I had initially called about was
the Organic Veggie Bowls.  Two varieties that are made are currently
gluten free: the Cascade Veggies au Gratin and Teryaki Rice.  These last
two will make meals easier and as a vegetarian who's exhausted from all
the cooking, I'll readily accept this ease.

Gorton's Fish (800-222-6845) I asked if any of the Grilled Fish Fillets
other than the Lemon Pepper and Italian Herb were ok (I had seen those
two listed on Abigail's great site -
http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/Spa/4003/gf-index.html).  There were
some new flavors that look delicious.  However, I was told not only are
other flavors not gluten free, but the only flavor that is gluten free
is the Lemon Pepper.  (The Italian Herb is not gluten free.)

Dean's (800-395-7004) No luck here, unfortunately.  Another company that
doesn't test and can't guarantee the status of its over 6,000 product
line.  I called to ask about Mike Chug, was told the cocoa poses a
problem since their source can't guarantee gluten free status.  So the
safest way to have chocolate milk is still using Hershey's Chocolate
syrup (which is ok, I don't have the number handy, but I did check on
this) and your choice of milk.

Hope this info helps someone else!  I'm so grateful for this group and
the archives. :-) Aviva (Chicago area)