Date:
Tue, 16 Dec 2003 21:02:58 -0500

Veggie Patch has come out with some products that are gf. Veggie Patch
makes vegetarian/vegan products from soy. The gf items are Wow It's Not
Beef!, Mesquite BBQ; Wow It's Not Chicken, Teriyaki; Wow It's Not
Chicken, Honey Dijon; Wow It's Not Chicken, seasoned strips; and Wow
It's Not Beef, seasoned chunks. They are all kosher/pareve under the
O-U.

When I first looked at the ingredients and saw there was no wheat gluten
(which seems to be the main problem with soy based products) I first
tried to see if they were gf by checking their website. When I didn't
see anything in the FAQ I called the company to find they had stated the
products were gf--BUT it was at the very end of a long paragraph
discussing the product! Since the person I was talking to turned out to
be the person responsible for the website I tried to make her understand
that most of us needing a gf diet are not going to spend that much time
trying to find out if a product is gf. Didn't work. So I decided to talk
to someone higher up. Turned out I talked to the secretary to the boss
(who turned out to be a part owner in the company) since the boss was
out of town. Well the end result is I just checked their website and in
their FAQ under Ingredients they now have a question/answer stating
which product line is gf.

They do have a locator to find out which stores carry their products (of
course they don't always carry all their products) but I did find out
that it is even carried in Canada (I checked for BC and found that
Safeway Canada carries it in BC, but they may not be carrying the Wow
line).

FoodTech International, Inc.
26 Kendall St.
New Haven, CT 06512 USA
Http://www.veggiepatch.com
1-888-My-VEGGIES

I have tried the Mesquite BBQ beef and it was ok. Of course I am not a
major soy fan so am not a fair judge. However I suspect this will be a
product that I will buy once or twice a month so I have something fast &
tasty to eat. It took less than 5 minutes to heat up dinner and have it
ready to eat (I served it with left over brown rice).

I would appreciate people letting the company know that putting the
information in an easier to access location such as the FAQ is
appreciated plus if we let them know that we are buying the products
because they are gf it may mean more product choices in the future!

Betsey Carus
Baltimore, MD USA