From:
Joany Janicki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Sep 2001 16:29:35 EDT

Thank you to everyone who answered my email.

One person who lives in Baltimore suggested The Cosmopolitan in Canton,
Victor's Cafe on the Harbor, Kali's Court in Fells Point, Lista's in Fells
Point.  They said that pretty much anywhere you go in Baltimore you'll find
out that everyone is very considerate and understanding.  This member used to
work at Victors Cafe and they are very familiar with her gluten problem.
Dave is the head chef and he used to fix her risotto instead of pasta for any
dish.

Several people also mentioned the Austin Grill, which we have here in DC
where I live.  With the help of Bob and Ruth's Gluten Free Dining and Travel
Club, this restaurant has a gluten free menu which you will need to ask the
waiter for.  It has items identified as gluten free or those that can be
modified gluten free.  Just make sure that when you order the corn tortillas
for the enchiladas that they do not place them in the deep fryer.  Austin
Grill is located in Canton, a neigborhood in Baltimore near Fells Point.

There is also a Cheesecake Factory in the Inner Harbor that one member said
has some gluten free dishes that can be modified without ordering sauce on
it.  Phillips Seafood also offers some gluten free seafood type entrees.  Old
Bay seasoning is gluten free.

When I was in Baltimore for the trade show, I was with several other
coworkers and we ended up in Little Italy of all places.  We ate at this
northern Italian restuarant called Germanos , on Fawn St., accross from
Sabatinos that was excellent.  While they had the requisite pasta dishes they
had several fish and veal and chicken dishes that were made with sauces that
didn't have any flour in them.  They also had risotto that I was using as my
backup.  I had this very excellent salmon dish with tomatoes, black olives
and capers in a light white wine sauce.  It was the first time in a long time
that I was able to have a sauce with a dish.  I was very pleased, and had a
very nice dinner with a handful of happy pasta eaters.

I hope this summary helps.

Joany Janicki, Washington, DC