From:
Tina Turbin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tina Turbin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 2010 03:40:26 -0400

Here is the last compilation of the responses to my inquiry:  I am gathering names of reputable companies that a celiac can rely on for pure uncontaminated GF supplements. Please only send me names of any company that you are certain they test their products or can guarantee them to be GF through suppliers tests, please.

Tina, Freeda Vitamins are g.f. and seem to have higher than average amounts of all B vitamins. www.freedavitamins.com   This is important for celiacs because most g.f. foods are make w/ nutrition-less starches and are not vitamin enriced.  Even those who have a diet of wheat-based junk foods supplements are getting vitamins because all cereal products are enriched. are more Bs because everything is enriched.

The kids vitamins are big & grainy...so start kids young & break tablets in half so they can be chewed without being a choke hazzard. Older kids who are used to gummies or 'cute candy-type' chewables won't like the texture at all and will proably refuse to take them (Sorry to say, that includes my grandkids.)

Freeda also uses thiamine HCl which is proably a better source since it contributes to the acid enviroment needed for absorption and doesn't add oxidizing nitrates like the older/cheaper thiamine mono-nitrate.  (The only cereal companies to use thiamine HCL are Kellogg's & Malt-O-Meal. It's also used in all but one baby brand of baby formula...Everything else wheat-based is enriched with thiamine mono-nitrate form.)

Interesting note...Thiamine/Vitamin B1 is essential to life.  It's necessary to make energy and convert carbs to energy so the more carbs you eat, the more thiamin you need to utilize them.  The body has only a 30 day reserve; it's depleted by fever: few foods are good sources suppling more than 10% of RDA.

The original thiamine deficiency is "beriberi"  and symptoms sound a lot like celiac with either muscle wasting and neuropathy ("refuge camp" celiacs) OR edema and anemia ("marshmallow celiacs"---pale & puffy...)
Beriberi 2002 at http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic221.htm
Beriberi 2003 at http://www.emedicine.com/ped/topic229.htm

The thiamine HCl is a better source since it contributes to the acid enviroment needed for absorption and doesn't add oxidizing nitrates like the older/cheaper thiamin mono-nitrate.   Once you start reading the labels, it's AMAZING at how many children's vitamins contain NO thiamine at all.  And in those that do, it will be the mon-nitrate version 98% of the time...

( I acquired a nitrate/nitrite sensitivty from long term use/abuse of sensitivity protection toothpaste containing potassium nitrate...I still find I get reactions from the trace amounts find in enriched rice & cereals from thiamine mono-nitrate as well as the nitrates that occur naturally in varying amounts in the stems, roots & leaves of most vegetables. Potato starch is especially problematic which makes my  nitrate/nitrite-free g.f. diet most interesting.)

The "feed a cold, starve a fever" observation of old may come from thiamine.  When limited thamine stores are destroyed by fever, the body can't make energy required to maintain water balace.  The resulting dehydration means of loss of protective mucous on GI surfaces that should shield villi from undigested food proteins.

Bev Lieven
Milwaukee