Date:
Thu, 21 Jun 2007 00:03:18 -0400

We met with the nutritionist and operations manager of the dining hall to start with, and then kept following up with different issues. The nutritionist went through the cycle menu of the hall and checked for all gluten/dairy, and then gave us a list of things he could eat. She bought some food that they kept stored at the dining hall, but it wasn't that easy to access. At one point they were cooking him lunches whenever there wasn't anything he could eat, and this was going well for awhile, and then they switched the chefs around and things got messed up again. I send lots of care packages to his dorm, and he has a frig. and microwave in his room. He was told he could store more in the dorm refrigerator if needed, but he hasn't yet.

On another note, my son loves the dorm life and would have felt even worse about his disease had he been unable to have that experience. He eats his breakfasts in his room, which is pretty easy, and then has lunch waiting for him, and then picks and chooses at dinner time. There are always things he can eat, it's just not like home
***********************
 know that the kitchen has a separate waffle iron for GF waffles, and they stock cookies, crackers, and cereal that he'll be able to take back to his room.  We just purchased a dorm fridge with a freezer all the way across the top.  It's a small freezer, but a little bigger that most dorm fridges.  The dorms where he will be all have a kitchen in them, so he'll be able to make pasta or a grilled cheese sandwich, etc.  He does have a sandwich maker called a "snackster" which cuts the sandwich into four triangles, but I don't know if he'll be allowed to have that in his room.
We found that food service and housing are closely linked.  You
might want to check with the college now if you need special housing for
him.  We asked that our son be located near the kitchen area on his dorm
floor.  What's more, we found out that not all dorms had kitchens.  That
helped narrow the selection process.  At the same time, we met the dietitian
and head of food service to see what they offered for gluten-free
selections.  They had several celiacs and ordered special breads, rolls and
cookies.  They also set aside a toaster for the students to use.