Date:
Sat, 1 Nov 2008 17:56:33 +0000

Help With Your Prescription Drug Dilemma

You are probably confident that the food is your pantry is gluten free. But what about the medicine in your cabinet? How much do you have to worry about gluten in your prescription drugs?

Gluten-Free Living, the only national magazine completely devoted to the gluten-free lifestyle, will answer that question in our next issue, due out in December.

We talked to pharmaceutical and drug company experts to find out what the risks are and how often gluten is likely to be found in prescription medication.

You'll find out how to get the information you need to check the gluten-free status of your prescription drugs and how to keep down the cost of your medications. And we'll tell you what we discovered when we investigated a sample of our own prescriptions.

If you are searching for a fresh, healthy perspective in the kitchen as the New Year approaches, you won't want to miss our special food section. We are watching the trends toward a healthier way of looking at food and how they impact your gluten-free life.

Cookbook author and regular contributor Jackie Mallorca introduces you to the mysteries and pleasures of Moroccan cooking. And we'll also help you get your day off to an energetic start with our breakfast tips.

You'll also get the details on the Food and Drug Administrations review of "may contain" labels that can make it tough to figure out if a food is really gluten free.

While we put the finishing touches on the December magazine, you will want to check out our current issue. You'll find out how to deal with the gluten-free diet in the tough economy. We have tips on how to get the most for your money when you buy specialty gluten-free foods and where to find foods that are naturally gluten free and inexpensive.

You'll learn more about the  FDA proposal to use less than 20 parts per million of gluten as a definition of gluten-free and the new pill being developed to treat celiac disease.

Dietitian Pam Cureton will help you find healthy options for your gluten-free child in her story about food that is kid-friendly, nutritious and gluten free. And Anne Lee, former nutritionist at the Celiac Disease Center at Columbia University, makes her debut as our dietetic columnist.

And there is much more. You'll find reviews of two new gluten-free cookbooks, answers to your questions about ingredients and a run down of new gluten-free products.