From:
Janet Wekesser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2001 07:38:17 -0800

Thanks to all who took time to respond about reeds and
other products needed for musical instruments.

Four people said they thought reeds were okay for
celiacs and had never had any problems using them.

One was a former band director who played clarinet and
saxophone.  Another said there is a synthetic brand of
reed called  Plasticoat that might work well.  Someone
asked about the new flavored reeds.  My personal
feeling is that these could be a problem, so we will
avoid them.  I didn't receive any responses saying
reeds should be avoided.

Everyone said to get my daughter her own mouthpiece
and reeds, and don't let her share.  When she tries
the instruments out, I'll probably go to tryouts and
make sure the mouthpieces she uses are clean.

One person said the cleaning solution might have
alcohol in it, and another said he used disinfectant
for years as a music teacher without ever experiencing
a reaction.  Two people said pure or petroleum-based
valve oils can be found, which shouldn't be a problem.

The former band director said cork grease is mostly
lanolin and should be fine.  He said he couldn't think
of anything associated with an instrument that would
be cause for concern.

As with anything, it pays to read labels and contact
manufacturers.

Thanks again.

Janet