Date:
Sat, 9 Aug 1997 17:35:47 -0400

I recently had to dis-pleasure of flying Hawaiian Airlines on a trip to
Hawaii. A month prior when the reservations were made I requested a no wheat
/ gluten meal for myself as well as to meals for diabetics.  Again three
days prior to leaving I called to double check that there wouldn't be any
problems with the meal requests and was told "No problem". On the flight to
Hawaii lo-and-behold...none of the meals where made. The meals were fine for
the two diabetics with me but both were made with pasta with a gravy. The
airline's crews attitude was Oh Well how about an extra salad, opps we have
a full plane load, no extra. If I had fluffed the salad up a bit I might
have been able to fill a couple tablespoons at most.

When I arrived in Honolulu for the connecting island flight I stopped at the
reservation counter to ask what had happened to the meal requests. They
could not come up with an excuse better than my travel agent must have not
made the request. Well I has sitting next to him when he did and that I had
checked myself three days earlier.  I told them I have an hour and a half to
wait if they wanted to try and come up with any other silly excuses. They
refused that offer but said they would make absolutely sure the problem
wouldn't be repeated on my return flight.

Well guess what? Correct,  again no special requested meals, and my party
was not the only one without the requested meals. A family of five sitting
next to me had requested vegetarian meals but didn't get them. At least
they're request showed on the attendant's list it just didn't get made for
them. The attendant was nice enough to give them a complaint form of some
sort that she claimed would go right to someone on top, (what ever that
means). I asked if it was possible for my party to do the same and was told
no, since my request didn't show up on her official list, that I couldn't
have a form. The vegetarian party had brought food with them telling me that
Hawaiian Airlines seldom seems  to fill special requests, that they fly
between Hawaii and the mainland every three weeks or so and in two years
have only gotten the requested meals about six times and never for all five
of them.

I doubt I'll fly with them again, because along with the food problems they
did lose luggage, both ways. These were amongst many other problems we had
flying Hawaiian.

I think next time I'll walk, or use Amtrak. (ha ha ha)

Tim Coyle