From:
"Mary W. Ferland" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary W. Ferland
Date:
Thu, 7 Oct 2004 12:30:59 -0400

Please check with your own doctor. As you can see the responses were varied.

1. Typically, celiacs have an overactive rather than an
underactive/compromised immune systems.

2. I would think it would be one's general health that determines if you go
to the front of the flu line, as in related disorders that puts you health
in danger if you get the flu, and not necessarily the fact that you have
celiac. You would also want to be vaccinated early if you run the risk of
exposure someone else whose health is tenuous.

3. Dr. Green suggested a pneumovax but never even mentioned a flue shot when
I went for my follow up. His opinion is that immune systems of celiacs are
in high gear.

4. I just spoke with our doctorıs office this afternoon. In their opinion,
yes we are considered at risk (due to the ³auto-immune disorder²).  However,
the best part is our entire family gets the shot, not just our daughter who
has Celiac.  This way none of us will get it (at least not as badly as
others without the shot) and pass it on to her which usually has long and
enduring repercussions.

5. you can if you want bacteria put in your body

6. According to one doc I talked to, celiac alone isn't a priority
condition, but
many celiacs with a second problem, such as diabetes or asthma, would be
priority patients for the shots. The two celiacs in our family both also
have severe asthma, so they qualify for the shots.

7. We are considered to be "high risk" more than the general population,
and it says so on many medical and government sites on health. (For
the same reasons you said).

8. I believe that we, as Celiacs, have an autoimmune disease and are
consequently at risk and should be sure to get a flu shot.  This may not be
easy this year with the supply cut in half, some doctors not getting any
vaccine at all...

9. According to  my VNA - yes

10. I can't imagine that my daughter, who has CD and is very healthy in
every
other way, should go to the head of the line for flu shots, compared to the
elderly and the number of people with other serious health issues.  Up until
now,
her doctors have never suggested the need for a flu shot. I think that if
someone's health has been unstable due to problems related to CD, that is
another
issue, but I have never heard that of people who are effectively treating
their
CD as being at more risk than other people for things like flu.  I would be
curious to know what other people think about that.

11. Yes, our doctor said that celiacs should get the flu shot and also
pneumonia vaccine.

12. yes, our immune systems are crazy..but NOT the way you think.  We have
OVERACTIVE immune systems. we don't need the shots.   just in case you can
take Deliosis THE FLU SOLUTION....ONE VIAL A MONTH...have never gotten the
flu.

13. I consider myself "high risk" because I have diabetes, two bad heart
valves, and cardiovascular disease (including stents in two heart
arteries).

14. I do not consider celiac disease to be risk factor in recovering from
flu.

15. A compromised immune system would be one that doesn't work very well --
like it had been shut off due to HIV infection or massive doses of
cortisone drugs.  In fact, my immune system reacts to all sorts of
things that probably are not threats to me ...

16. No, we are not considered in the high-risk group. Your immune system
is compromised only if you are eating gluten.

17. The flu shot should go to very young children (6-23 months), adults
65 and older, people with serious heart and breathing illnesses and
diabetes, people who take care of people with these problems,
pregnant women, children on chronic aspirin therapy, and most health
care workers.
This information comes from a doctor who has celiac.

18. No - celiacs are not immunocompromised (just immuno-different).  Please
let people who really need it (elderly, people with asthma,healthcare
workers) get the shots.

19. My daughter's pediatric endocrinologist recommended a flu shot for her,
and I think she used the term "high risk" or "risky population" or
something like that.

20. I definitely think so.  Last week I had a very terrible reaction to CD
and
ended up at the Dr's and at that time she suggested that I definitely get
the
shot ASAP.  So with that, I think we are in the "risk" category.

21. Celiac Disease and Fibromyalgia have always made me more susceptible
to viruses, so I would say yes.