Date:
Fri, 5 Oct 2007 17:17:50 -0700

Hi,

    My family and I were diagnosed with CD several years ago.  My daughter
(13) has been staying in a teen shelter for kids who are having  trouble at
home.  My daughter went there without my knowledge and now does not want to
come home yet because she likes it better there.  She has been there for 6
days.  Today a petition was filed by her to stay at this center.  I have
been a single parent since my child was 3.  I have not been found guilty of
any crime, abuse or neglect.  My child is scheduled for surgery in 3 weeks.
I was told that her surgery was cancelled (it has not been), that I was not
taking her to medical appointments (I have no record of missing any), and I
asked if my child has had the 4 tests needed to diagnose Celiac; when the
very school system and medical community I have resided in for 5 years has
documentation of this.  This foster shelter spokesperson is questioning my
daughter's diagnosis and my medical care of her.  I am told that this foster
shelter worker is now making all my child's medical decisions.  HELP!  Does
anyone know law that can give me some info. on the violation of my family's
rights and maybe what I can and should be doing to deal with this insanity?
I was never told I was in danger of losing parental rights because my
daughter in a sense ran away to a teen shelter that has much looser rules
than I instill at home.... When I saw my daughter briefly today...she is
visibly ill and did not answer any questions posed to her.  This shelter
person answered for her.  I appreciate any input on the rights of Celiac's
and their parents... I will post a summary.  Thanks so much.

Sincerely,
Lis