From:
Linda Ostrow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 May 2000 16:25:22 EDT

Dear friends -

I can't thank you enough for all of your thoughtful and kindhearted
try to summarize:

First, most everyone seems to think that the CD probably preceded the
depression (don't we all wish we knew how long we've actually had this
disease - if it preceded the depression then I've had it a long, long time.)

Secondly, most everyone agreed that CD is triggered by "something" - most
often an emotional event (my mother's death in 1996 - that's obvious to me.)

I had SEVERAL recommendations:

A.  "Its been my experience that high levels of CORTISOL cause my
depression. The adrenals get worn down and this doesn't help
fatigue any. The cortisol is released to help your bodys immune
system fight the "gluten" invader.You might want to be careful if you take
cortisone or hydrocortisone in creams or pills (A cortisol like substance) it
can worsen depression in some people."

B.  Anti-depressants, particulary Paxil, causes weight gain.

C.  The advantages of anti-depressants far outweigh the side-effects.  This
writer also suggested that we be careful of what we read in the
press...."treat with GREAT scepticism any reportage of medical stories.
Things are very strongly weighted to
"make" a story; and usually distort things quite badly.  If the press in the
US are making connections between long-term anti-depressant usage and
consequent problems, the first thing to do is find out the journal where
such research is published.  It has to be reputable.  Then get on to the
author of the article, and find out what their agenda really is...."  Point
well taken.

D.  Regarding my point about extra fat, from the Chairperson of the Gluten
Intolerant/Celiac Support Group in Durban, S. Africa  " Why do you have to
cook with a lot more fat? I know Vit A is a fat soluble vitamin which you
need to be absorbed to improve your skin,but the normal fat in food (and we
only need 3 tsp a day you know!) would be sufficient. The reason being that
once you go gluten-free the body is now able to absorb the fat. You dont need
a lot extra?"  Again, point well-taken.

E.  "Your story could be me!!

Go to www.neanderthin.com and www.paleodiet.com
You will find that you have some other foods that are causing the
depression: sugar, corn, other grains, beans, etc. Once you remove these
culprits, you will be fine.

Also, I itch with grain fed meats so I have to buy wild or grass fed meats.

Neanderthin saved my sanity and my life. I know it will work for you!"

F.  "Its more likely that the CD brought on the depression.  In a lot of
literature on the disease, there are indications that the body's reaction to
gluten produces opiods (drug like herion), which has a narcotic effect on
the individual.  Likely there are cycles of withdrawal from these opiods
when the body's system increases/decreases reaction to the amount of gluten
ingested"

G.  And from Vance...."  it's known that people on anti-depressants often
have gastrointestinal disorders.  And think what might be happening to cells
in the immune system that also have these same receptors on their surfaces.
We could be inadvertently affecting the ability of our natural killer cells
to attack mutated cells....But no one's doing the research to explore these
kinds of effects."

Well that does it.  I'm sorry this is so long but I wanted to make sure that
everyone on the list received the helpful comments I received.

Stay healthy friends....

Linda

PS -  My therapist has also recommended another author (for what it's worth).
Her name is Caroline Myss and she's written several books among them:
Creation of health and Anatomy of the spirit.  She is very much "into" the
body/mind connection.  She also has a website:www.myss.com.  She comes very
highly recommended if you're interested in the spiritual side of healing.
Again....for what it's worth.  (BY the way, I am in NO way suggesting that CD
can be healed via this approach.  I'm just hoping to gain some peace.....)