From:
john wynhausen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Apr 1996 07:19:07 -0500

Michele Kratzmeier <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Has anyone experienced a high temperature as a result of eating gluten?
>Last evening my 2 1/2 yr son started complaining of a stomach ache,
>shortly later he had a case of diarrhea.  He then got a temperature of
>104.  I treated him with tylenol and a cool bath. By bedtime it was
>down to 101.1 and this morning to 99.8. Could the temperature be a
>result of gluten or just a virus?

Although you may never know if it was gluten or a virus... there is a good
chance it was something he ate.  I discovered my own sensitivities by going
on an elimination diet. ( only rice and fruit unconsciously, no less as I
was wanting to lose weight)  The first time I really cheated it was a
chocolate cream cheese brownie that gave me a reaction which was very much
like the flu. My temperature shot way up like your sons but it didn't hold
there for more than a couple of hours.   Then just as quickly, it went.  It
was very strange. It has happened again since then with only gluten.  When
this first happened, I concluded it was only the milk/cream cheese that
caused the reaction.  Later  ( recently )I realized the wheat was also part
of it.  Thank God it wasn't the chocolate ( at least non-milk chocolate ).