From:
Carolyn Damon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carolyn Damon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Aug 2006 10:52:42 -0400

With regard to my 8/22 posting regarding the safety of Smuckers Peanut Butter and jellies, I received 5 responses, and all were different.

One stated that a news story indicated that Smuckers had put a tiny peanut butter and jelly frozen sandwich company out of business by trademarking their product and that company could no longer produce it.  In a later post you will note that that seems to be the first product that they have declared to be gluten free.  Could this be a reflection of the company's honesty?

Another listmate e-mailed that Safeway and Trader Joe's Products are safe according to the Clan Thompsons food list.

Another said the best bet is fresh ground, but you should eat only organic peanut butter and only once a week.  It contains an unhealthy fungus that is particularly dangerous to males.
This won't be my worry, I'll let men worry about.  Truthfully I have a small amount of peanut butter almost every day as I am diabetic and need a snack between meals, and because I have fibromyalgia, I need the extra protein just to function.

E-mail number 4 said she had eaten Smuckers for years with no problem.

I have saved the best for last.  A gentleman wrote that he was quite dismayed at my report (and did what we should all do-just to be sure)and he took the initiative to call the company.  They basically confirmed what I was told.  They are in the middle of a program to make certain that they choose their suppliers more carefully and make certain that those suppliers will confirm their products as gluten free.  At this point their peanut butter/nut/jelly combos are gluten free.  Their peanut butter they say has the Jiff label.  Well, they neglected to mention their Smuckers all natural, non-hydrogenated peanut butter.  That was what I was using. They told me they couldn't certify at that time that it was gluten free.

In a phrase, I will continue to use Arrowhead Mills Organic Creamy Valencia Peanut Butter, labeled Gluten Free. It costs about a dollar more, but I would rather pay that than pay by being sick for two weeks---so sick it was all I could do to get out of bed.  I was unable to pick any of my garden beans and now lost all of them as they were untended.  When you are 66 years old, you don't tolerate the reactions as you do when you are younger.

Hope this is helpful.  If there are any people on the mid-coast of Maine (Rockland) who would like to form a support group, please e-mail me.

Carolyn Damon
Warren, Maine

*******
*******

<<Disclaimer: Verify this information before applying it to your situation.>> No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.1.405 / Virus Database: 268.11.7/433 - Release Date: 8/30/06 *Please provide references to back up claims of a product being GF or not GF* ******* To unsubscribe, email: mailto:[log in to unmask] *******