From:
Bev Lieven <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 11 Dec 2007 06:16:41 EST

This came through from Medscape recently....

Budesonide May Improve Refractory Celiac Disease

The results of a small study suggest that budesonide may be effective in the
management of refractory celiac disease, report physicians from Columbia
University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York.
Reuters Health Information 2007

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/566602

I had a friend who was prescribed this therapy Milwaukee 5+ years ago by a
now retired GI doctor at the Medical College of Wisconsin here is Milwaukee.
The same doctor had diagnosed my friend's celiac 20 years earlier at age 55
after a lifetime of damage. Even though he had been g.f. for nearly 20 years,
there had been little improvement to his flatten villi despite a variety of
aggressive treatments which included years of traditional steroids.

At that time budesonide was marketed to treat Crohn's disease and was
definitely experimental for US celiacs.

His usually gruff doctor was positively gleeful when he told us that biopsy
report came back showing "blunted villi!" It was the first positive response to
any of the  treatment treatment in 20 years...(Unfortunately, my friend died
from c.diff infection caught at a rehab center/nursing home not long
afterwards before he could benefit from his improved villi/absorption.)

The treatment is definitely a last resort for those with severe damage that
doesn't respond to standard treatment & diet. Hopefully, most celiacs dx in the
future will benefit from better awareness & get a dx before damage becomes
irreversible and makes these drugs necessary.

Bev in Milwaukee