From:
"Tusing, Karl" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Oct 1999 07:36:29 -0400

and its effects...  (per the Howard Stern guest)

Attending the Univ. of Maryland's Gastroenterologist -
Physician's conference last year, there was some discussion
on the effects of CD in undiagnosed children.  Basically,
(without referring to my notes) is was said that CD can
"present" with or without symptoms.  Since very little
of CD is taught in med schools, the diagnosis of CD in
children has been, historically, difficult and severely
misdiagnosed.  With the intensines suffering damage
from the CD, absorption of nutrients can be diminished.
Therefore, the body doesnt not have the materials
to develop its potential.

It wasn't uncommon for physicians to administer growth
hormones to "correct" the slow growth of some CD children,
thinking this was solve the problem.  I'll try to get
references to medical reports/studies from the conference.

By the way, my wife was undiagnosed as a child, and she
is 5'0", several inches shorter all of her sisters (3).

Karl Tusing
IKEA North America Services, Inc.
496 W. Germantown Pike
Plymouth Meeting, PA 19462