From:
"Ron B." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Dec 1998 12:34:39 -0800

Well, I certainly wasn't expecting the number of replies to my post that I
did receive.
- Most people agreed with me, that I wasn't celiac, but had an intolerance
to some component of gluten or wheat.

- Some said I should get a blood test. I  had blood test done after my
first biopsy. Both blood and biopsy were negative.

- Some questioned the ability of the GE that performed my second biopsy,
which was also negative,saying that doctors can make mistakes and not take
enough samples, or go far enough. I had multiple samples taken from both
the upper and rectal  procedures. The GE that did the biopsies is a
professor at a leading university hospital that is very up on celiac. He
has many years of experience with celiac patients and I'm satisfied with
his diagnosis.

- Many responses were from people with the same conditions as me. They have
had negative blood and biopsies, even though they were treated at leading
research facilties. Some had doctors that told them it was all in their
head and didn't believe they could have celiac like symptoms from eating
wheat or gluten and not be celiac.

- A couple of people said that I was probably in a pre-celiac condition,
and just starting to show symptoms and hadn't been sick long enough to have
internal damage. Well, I've been sick for 10 years, and if I really think
about it, this has been going on since 1981 in one way or another.

-  Some said that I could be intolerant to wheat because of all the gentic
alterations in wheat over the years.

I have been gf since my second biopsy (Nov. 18.98) and am feeling 100%
better. My crummy attitude is gone, I've gone from 10-15 trips to the
toilet a day down to 4-5, and getting better all the time. No more
abdominal pain and bloating. The feeling in my lower abdomen like someboby
had their fist in there twisting my colon is gone. I've got some colour
back in my face and no more dry patches of itchy skin. Yes, I'm sure that
you can have all or some of the symptoms of cd and just be intolerant like
I am. Thanks to all that responded.

Ron B. (Vancouver B.C.)