From:
Douglas Sharp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Jul 1998 17:15:40 -0400

I wrote in asking about coffee because of the continued bloating in my
abdomin area. Thanks for all your responses!

About one-third the people who wrote me on this subject wanted me to
share the information that I got because they too wondered about this.
So even though I am still getting info, I wanted to let everyone know
that several people wrote that flavored coffee and cheap coffees were
suspect and to avoid them.

Several people wrote about each of the following:
1)Folgers brand is supposed to be GF (but I did not check with the
company myself yet). 100% coffee beans ground up is supposed to be GF.
2) Those with lactose intolerance should not put milk in their coffee.
some people who don't consume a lot of diary products (except for milk
in their coffee) take a while to realize that they are
lactose-intolerant as well as gluten-intolerant.
3) Reassurances to those who still have symptoms, including bloating. It
takes a while for symptoms to subside and the body to heal itself. Also,
those with continued symptoms can get their antibodies checked by their
doctor to determined exposure to gluten.
4) A significant number of us with CD also have other food intolerances
or allergies. It is worthwhile checking into this.
5) Some people still react to coffee even if supposed to be GF and have
eliminated it from their diet, sometimes switching to tea. One person
wrote that both coffee and tea caused her to react.

I drink Folgers and am not lactose intolerant. I have switched to tea
and think I feel better (but of course it could be just a placebo
effect!) I have never been to a physician who specialized in CD and I am
planning on doing this soon to see if I can check out any other food
allergies which is contributing to my continued symptoms.

Thanks to all who responded again!