From:
Jennifer Petersen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jun 1998 19:35:59 -0500

Thanks to all who responded to my question about locating a source for
hazelnuts!

I thought that this recipe for a Hazelnut Torte sounded great; however,
I was missing the main ingredient!  Thanks to you, I now have a source.

To summarize your responses:

Raw filberts (hazelnuts) can be obtained from a produce/health food
store in bulk.

A catalog for ordering hazelnuts is available at
<http://walnutacres.com/>

Someone said to try a bakery.

Others said to try Trader Joe's, Safeway, and Williams-Sonoma.

Another source is http://www.hazelnut.com/store/natural.html.

I am providing the recipe for those of you that would like to try it.
It is very adaptable to a celiac's needs.  I found it in the 1998 Family
Circle Joy of Cooking magazine.

Hazelnut Torte (10 servings)

Heat oven to 325 degrees.  Grease and flour bottoms of two 8x2 inch
round pans or one 8 inch springform pan, or line bottoms with wax or
parchment paper.

Finely grind:
3/4 cup whole unblanched hazelnuts

In large bowl, beat on high speed until thick and pale yellow, about 2
minutes:
3/4 cup sugar
6 egg yolks

Stir in hazelnuts along with:
1/2 cup toasted fresh or dry unseasoned bread crumbs (GF, of course)

In another bowl, beat on medium speed until soft peaks form:
6 egg whites
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar

Gradually add, beating on high speed, until peaks are stiff but not dry:

1/4 cup sugar

Use rubber spatula to fold one-quarter of egg whites into hazelnut
mixture, then fold in remaining whites.  Scrape batter into pans and
spread evenly.  Bake until wooden pick inserted into center comes out
clean, about 20 minutes in round pans, 40 to 45 minutes in springform
pan.  Let cool completely in pans on rack; center will sink as it
cools.  Slide thin knife around tortes to detach them from pans and then
turn out.  Level and invert tortes before stacking and filling and
frosting with:

Whipped cream or flavored whipped cream

Or if using springform pan, simply remove pan side, invert, remove paper
liner, if using, and serve right side up, sprinkled with:

Confectioners' sugar
Chopped hazelnuts

Jennifer Petersen