From:
Mary Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Sep 2003 14:20:43 -0400

hello, all -

Does anyone know if a person can have undiagnosed Celiac severe
enough to have lost a lot of weight, but not be anemic or loss of B
vitamins?

A woman I know, who understandably has become completely antagonistic
towards mainstream medicine, is wasting away. Very weak, very thin,
has been through all kinds of diagnostic tests and to many different
kinds of practitioners looking for answers. A few years ago she was
diagnosed with colitis, but that turned out to be a mistake. A year
or so ago she seemed to be getting better, but now she's much worse.

For whatever reason, none of the docs she's been to have run the
anti-body test on her. Maybe she's resisting good medical
advice-seems possible, as her entire identity for some time now has
been wrapped up in being quite sick. I don't know her well, so I
can't really say.

When I saw her yesterday I was alarmed enough by her state (no, I do
not think she is anorexic) to press the Celiac issue. Well, she said,
the current doctor is looking into 'leaky gut." She was quite
surprised that leaky gut is a generic term that sometimes turns out
to mean Celiac. She is skeptical about Celiac, however, partly
because she wants to have faith in the current alt. med. internist
and partly because she knows about my diet and shrinks from the
thought of no toast, no bagels and etc. My reassurances that the diet
is not so hard to deal with don't impress her. In her current state,
everything in the world seems like too much trouble, so I understand.

Back to the original question: is Celiac inconsistent with normal
vitamin and ferratin levels?

Of course as I have not seen her blood test results myself, I am
taking her word on the anemia/B-vit. test, and continuing to
encourage her to get the antibody test. Couldn't hurt.

thanks - Mary B.