Date:
Sat, 21 Jun 1997 00:28:23 -0700

A Trip to an Endocrinologist:
This is my personal adventure due to a bone-density test showing moderate
osteoporosis in my left hip and lower back. It is not intended for anyone
to diagnose themselves.

Question: To take Fosamax, HRT therapy (woman only), calcium supplements
or exercise?

First, I was surprised that he knew a lot about celiac disease after
teasing me about how I liked my pizza. Although my calcium level was not
bad, he stated a deficiency in Vitamin D was noted. He mentioned that
perhaps by going on the diet and not being lactose intolerant
anymore, I picked up my calcium count by eating cheese, ice cream,
etc. People don't realize that when you go on the diet, you are now
absorbing vitamins you never could before. However, most people only get
sunlight (Vitamin D) in the spring and summer months, hardly in the
winter. Vitamin D helps the genitourinary system absorb calcium. Also,
if you are experiencing bone loss then Vitamin D is most likly the
deficient vitamin. He said to continue my 2 tablets of Citracal (GF) each
day along with a prescription for Vitamin D. (more than the usual dose in
vitamin supplements and only taken once a week). I asked him about
Fosamax since my GI called a pharmacy to discuss the GF status of this.
(yes, it is GF) The endo suggested Prempro (GF) estrogen/progesterone
therapy for 6 months and the Vitamin D prescription. After 3 months blood
tests will be taken and again at 6 months to monitor the effects.
Depending on the results of the blood tests, the HRT therapy could be
stopped. In one year, another bone density test would be taken to show
if there was any big change. He claimed Fosamax would be considered
after everything else is used due to gastrointestinal problems that many
people have taking it. After the question and answer session, I was given
a physical which consisted of checking all areas that would contain your
glands (i.e. thyroid, underarms, pelvic area). When I left his office, I
felt comfortable that my GI sent me to a very knowledgeable doctor.

Should anyone have any other questions, please feel free to contact me
personally.
Cindy in NJ