Date:
Wed, 19 Feb 1997 07:51:24 -0500

Since moving from Los Angeles to London a few months ago, I must comment on
the amazing difference between gluten free "living" in this country, and
commend The Coeliac Society in the U.K. for the excellent job they do.  They
publish a little green book (updated throughout the year) which lists gluten
free manufactured foods by type, manufacturer and store (including a seperate
list of prepared take-away foods from Marks & Spencers) which makes shopping
simple.  Additionally, they have a 24 hour hotline which is constantly
updated with any product changes that come to light.  Keeping in mind how
small a country this is as compared to the USA, the variety of gluten free
products is substantially larger....from biscuits (cookies) to crackers to
pasta, breads and cakes, etc., etc.  The most remarkable difference is the
bread available here which is unlike any GF bread available in the USA as it
is made with (listed as the first ingredient) Wheat Starch, which complies
with the CODEX ALIMENTARIUS standards for gluten free foods.  Put simply, the
protein (gliadin, therefore gluten containing part of the wheat) is seperated
from the starch...and then the starch is used in bread which totally changes
the consistency of the final product...and therefore gives it a remarkably
better taste and texture.  Why this can't be done in the USA, I haven't a
clue...certainly the technology must be there.   Product labelling is also
superior...for instance Heinz clearly labels their Gluten Free prepared
products "suitable for a gluten free diet."

I must say that prior to our move here I was concerned about the availablity
of products and bought cases of pasta, and GF flours and had them shipped
over.  But now I find that anywhere I go in London there are many health food
stores (two alone on the High Street in my village) that have quite a nice
(although rather pricey...based on the dollar to pound exchange rate!)
selection.  Another wonderful thing is that my daughter can obtain all her
gluten free products free by prescription through the National Health Service
(gluten free products are free to children under 16, young people under 19 in
full-time education, and men and women 60 and over)...but this is more of a
political issue relating to socialized medicine.  Even to those people who
don't fit in to the above mentioned categories, greatly discounted pre-paid
precription cards are available on a yearly basis.

Besides the fact that this is such a beautiful and civilized place to
live...it is also a wonderful place if you have a dietary restriction
(especially easy for Vegetarians, I've noticed, as every single product is
labelled as to it's suitability for a Vegetarian diet).

And, in closing, forget about coming here...going to a pub and not being able
to drink the beer ....the "live" cider is amazing!

Jane Oswaks - London, England