From:
"Patricia L." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 22 Nov 2005 10:35:48 +0700

PART TWO.

“Also, in the day that I was in your 'frame of life' (young
ones) ....Genisoy Protein drinks and bars. They were able to give me
the 'calories' along with the pastas, and shakes, (tofutti not ice cream)
etc.”

“You can also eat mashed potatoes and gravy (I use Lipton onion soup mix,
add some GF flour - doesn't matter whether it's the bean mix or Red Mill all
purpose - water, and mix as usual).  You can make ice cream smoothies with
fresh fruit using regular french vanilla ice cream instead of skim milk and
ice cubes.  The Gluten Free Pantry chocolate truffle brownie mix is fabulous
as is their cake and cookie mix.  Pamela's pancake mix is wonderful for
pancakes.  Sometimes I make pancakes and turn them into peanut butter and
jelly sandwiches for work.  (Also for traveling - great with coffee or
latte)

Bi-Aglut pasta is the best brand available - tastes and acts like the "real
thing" except you can't store the spaghetti with the sauce on it.  Store
separately. It heats up beautifully in the microwave.  You will probably
have to order it unless you live near a GF store that carries it.  Some of
the ready made frozen tortalini is good, too. One of the reasons I was not
eager to get diagnosed was that for the first time in my life I was eating
all kinds of stuff and still losing weight. Unfortunately, I didn't realize
that I was also damaging my bones. Calcium and folic acid are critical
supplements to take as well as a good all-purpose vitamin daily.  I also
take a bunch of other stuff designed to strengthen the immune system. Even
though you have difficulty with dairy, have you tried making your own
yoghurt? The Gluten Free Pantry pie crust mix is excellent.  Since you can
eat all the goodies you want, you might try that for pies. Got to use the
whole package at once, though.”

“A couple of foods to try is adding a teaspoon of ground flaxseed to cereal
or yogurt in the morning.  I eat nuts in between during the day, usually
almonds but occasionally walnuts.  On trips I have whole almonds and raisins
as my snack, and sometimes fruit or carrot sticks. The only "pasta" I like
is Thai Kitchen's little packages with an herb mix and oil, and rice
noodles. Rarely do I have bread.  I used to make wheat bread weekly for more
than 20 years and there is no gf bread that comes close. Rather than
feel like a second class citizen, consuming something that is a poor
substitute, I go without.

do take food supplements and vitamins.  Vitamins include: A, B  complex, C,
D, E.  I take calcium with magnesium and with it an  L-Glutamine capsule and
Glucosamine (I have osteoporosis).  Other  minerals I consume every other
day and include manganese, copper,  boron, and chromium.  Zinc logenzes I
suck on every other day too unless I feel like a could get a cold and then
it is every day.  Since I am older, I also take ginko biloba, SAMe, CO2Q10,
and sometimes oil of primrose.  I think that someday I will cut back some,
but as of yet  I can notice when I do cut back. For dessert, I like plain
fruit.  I do make pies occasionally but I   find that I do not feel good if
I consume sugar. I am not diabetic.”

“just started the diet, but I know that my weight has gone back up now that
I have worked on eating more potatoes.  I also eat a lot of GF desserts,
such as pies and things (such as pumpkin and pecan, which don't have much
crust).  Good Luck! ps - I would also check that you don't have any related
conditions, such as anemia or B12 definicency - I know that both of those
can cause weight loss - also, sorry to bring it up, but get a diabeties
test, as I was just told that I had to do.”

“Here are some things I eat to keep weight stable:: baked potatoes (both
Idaho and sweet potatoes) with Bush's Baked Beans on top
roasted veggies with potatoes - I eat tons of veggies
tossed in olive oil, apple juice, herbs - then roasted
- served on Tinyada pasta, or brown rice
baked casseroles with: cooked brown rice, canned
Alaskan salmon, cooked chopped spinach, green chiles &
sour cream
snacks: cheddar cheese or Parmesan cheese, sliced  -
or goat cheese and sliced ripe pears
olives
avocado and homemade guacamole with corn chips
peanut butter
Edy's Vanilla Ice Cream with Blue Diamond Almonds on
top (I chop the almonds)
omelets for lunch with cheddar cheese and sour cream
and salsa
smoothie made with Lactaid milk, MLO Rice Protein
Powder, a scoop of Edy's ice cream or Stonyfield plain
yogurt, and fruit
tortilla melts made with Gringo Pete's corn tortillas
with melted cheddar and guacamole, or tuna salad and
Swiss cheese melt”

Again, thanks to all of you for these rollickingly GREAT suggestions.
Patricia