From:
Chris Spreitzer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Apr 1998 18:16:05 PDT

Thanks to all who responded to my questions about additional family members
with positive AGA blood tests.  I'll summarize what we know so far about
our personal situation first.  Laura, age 2, was diagnosed with CD (by
biopsy) 3 1/2 weeks ago.  The rest of the family (myself, my husband, and
my two other daughters, ages 4 and 5) had serum tests done to screen for
"silent" CD.  We were very surprised to find that both of my other
daughters and my husband had positive AGA results.  One daugher has
selective IgA deficiency, but her AGA IgG was positive.  Both girls had
their biopsies done on Thursday.  Today we got the results--both girls had
normal mucosa.  My husband's biopsy won't be for a couple more weeks.  I
did "push"  gluten with the girls prior to their biopsies.  One daughter
did seem to have some reluctance towards eating more bread, but I guess
that was just her stubborn streak coming out.

As to the responses I got about other families dealing with CD:
One family with three children had one  symptomatic daughter, one daughter
who was asymptomatic but had a positivie blood test followed by a positive
biopsy, and a son who had a negative serum test.  The father was also
negative, while the mother was said to be "genetically  predisposed" to CD.
It wasn't clear from the post if the mother was biopsied or not.

One family of five had four of the five members end up with diagnosed CD.
The father, daughter, and one son were all diagnosed with CD.  The second
son was initially biopsy negative at age 7.  After this biopsy, the son's
growth tapered off and he suffered from chronic constipation.  This son was
gluten challenged and then had his serology redone.  Only his endomysial
IgG was positive.  He then had another biopsy which showed villous atrophy
and he was diagnosed.

Another Mom wrote that all of her sons were positive for IgG antibody, but
only the oldest was biopsied and he was negative.  She chose not to have
her younger boys biopsied for now.  It wasn't clear from the post if one of
the parents had CD or not.

A Listmember who has CD had her asymptomatic 13 yo daughter tested.  Her
daughter was positive for one of the four serum tests given.  She was
biopsied and the biopsy was negative.

A brother of a diagnosed Celiac had elevated IgG.  The family waited six
months and then had him tested again.  The second time he was checked for
IgA deficiency; the IgG was still elevated, but there was no IgA
deficiency.  He had no symptoms except for being very small, extremely
thin, and constipated.  This child was biopsied, but the results were not
available at the time this Mom posted her message.

One listmember wrote that she was the only one in her immediate family with
CD, but she suspected that her mother has it, and she has at least 3 second
cousins with it.

Another listmember with CD suspects that her mother and two sisters also
have CD, though they haven't been formally tested.

A woman had positive blood tests for CD, even though she was asymptomatic.
Her son was diagnosed with CD.  She had a biopsy done which was negative.

So there you go, folks.

Chris in CA
Mom of Eileen, Anna, and Laura