From:
L and N Matsui <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
L and N Matsui <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Jun 2003 02:28:57 +0000

Dear listmates,  I did not read any involvement of amyloidosis and CD
however, I am posting this info. because some have expressed interested in
this disease.

What I did find out about amyloidosis is that it involves a protein called
amyloid which deposits itself into one or more organs and  interferes with
an organ's function.  There are various amyloid proteins but secondary
amyloidosis involves specifically deposits of the amyloid A protein and it
occurs in the following autoimmune diseases:
rheumatoid arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, behcet's syndrome, tophaceous
gout, vasculitis, sjogren's syndrome, polymyalgia rheumatica, and
inflammatory bowel disease.  "Patients with non-insulin-dependent (type II)
diabetes mellitus have amyloiid deposits in the pancreatic beta cells; these
are composed primarily of a protein called amylin.  The question of whether
amylin is involved in the pathogenesis of type II diabetes is
controversial."
(Vogelgesang, S, 1994.   The many guises of amyloidosis, Postgraduate Med
96: 119-127).
The article also mentioned that amyloidosis should be considered in any one
with unexplained proteinuria, peripheral neuropathy, carpel tunnel syndrome
etc.  Renal disease comes with most types of amyloidosis.  Gastrointestinal
involvement results in 50 percent of patients with amyloidosis.  I read an
article at Medscape of a patient with amyloidosis and gastrointestinal
bleeding which can be accessed by doing a search on these parameters.

Clinical Manifestations (Table 1 of above citation):

Neurologic
sensory neuropathy
autonomic neuropathy
carpal tunnel syndrome

Renal
proteinuria
nephrotic syndrome
renal vein thrombosis

Gastrointestinal
diarrhea
malabsorption
ulceration, etc.

The other clinical manifestations include cardiac, cutaneous (skin),
musculoskeletal, pulmonary and other (splenomegaly).

Laura Y.