From:
A Gilliland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 13:09:12 -0700

Hi All--

I think this is a long shot, but my PCP is concerned
and now I'm scared, so I thought I'd see if any of you
have experienced anything like this. Since CD is an
autoimmune disease, my PCP and I are wondering if
there's another disease process going on to cause this
problem.

On my last visit to the ER with upper right quadrant
abdominal pain and vomiting (the day before I went to
the gf diet), I was given a shot of Demerol and
phenagren (sp?) in my right hip. Now, three months
later, the site where they gave me the shot is
atropied the size of a silver dollar and *very* deep.

My PCP said this sort of thing might happen when given
cortisone, but he'd never seen this happen with
Demerol. He's sending me to a dermatologist to find
out if it appears the atropying has stopped or if
there's anything we can do to correct the problem.

Has anyone on the list experienced any type of problem
like this with shots of any kind? The hospitals have
been notified that I'm not to be given Demerol IM -
only Demerol IV. But this scares me, too - if Demerol
did this to my muscle and fatty tissue in my hip, what
might it do internally? Geez, that's a paranoid
thought, but believe me, I'm really scared to accept
any medication in any form now.

Luckily, I've not had to return to the ER since going
gf; however, I do take Ultram for my leg pain and
periodically, the Ultram will set off the abdominal
pain (Ultram is gf).

Thanks for any suggestions, speculations, or info
anyone cares to share.

Ayn