From:
Mark S. & Elizabeth R. Crone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Jan 2000 23:06:03 -0500

Hello again!!

First of all, I would like to thank all of you who replied--everyone's
information was very informative and helpful and my husband and I are
very grateful in knowing that we aren't the only ones who are frustrated
in conceiving.

Second, a special thanks goes to Nicholas de Wolf, Don Wiss, Kate
Johnson, and Mrs. J. Moline--the information you submitted was
excellent, extremely reliable and your kind words and prayers and much
needed and appreciated.  You all get an A in my book!  Ha-Ha--little
teacher humor.  Liz made a funny!  :)

On with the summary!!!!  (Footnotes at the bottom indicated resources
cited)

Infertility is a common symptom in people with Celiac disease for
various reasons.  For males specifically, it could be related form
everything to 1.) vitamin A, C, E, and zinc deficiencies or 2.) from
abnormal plasma testosterone, dihydrotestosterone, sex-hormone binding
globulin, oestradiol, and serum luteinising hormone levels.  Seemingly
enough, when the patient was put on a gluten free diet and took a
multi-vitamin supplement, these levels returned to normal as well as
sperm production and quality.

About eating red meat.  I think that Mrs. Moline said it best, "Some
people are just animal crazy and forget that God ordained and gave them
for our food.  Eating red meat does not make one infertile.  Yes, some
red meats are full of chemicals, hormones etc., but if you do your own
there is no risk of that."  Well said.

Also, if you're spouse is a celiac and you yourself are not, keep in
mind that your children are at a 10% greater risk of inheriting the
disease.  For all intents and purposes, during a pregnancy what you eat
is what your baby eats.  This is true in nursing, too!  If he or she
reacts negatively to gluten ingestion by the mother--it might be a good
idea to go gluten free whether you have celiac or not.  Experimentation
is must, sad to say--the same could be said for the Celiac in your
family to figure out his or her tolerance level. All of this is common
sense, I'm sure!!

I hope all this information helps!!  My husband and I have decide it
would be a good idea for the benefit of the group that WHEN we conceive
our second child, we keep the group up to date with any trials and
tribulations that might happen.  What do you think?  We want to hear
form you!  As always, keep us in your prayers.

In Christ Always,

Mark & Elizabeth Crone

1.)  Dig Dis 1994-May-Jun; Vol:12 (Part:3) Pg:186-90
     Sher KS, et. al.
     Infertility, obstetric and gynaecological problems in coeliac sprue.

2.) TI- Male gonadal function in coeliac disease: 2. Sex hormones.
    AU- Farthing MJ; Rees LH; Edwards CR; Dawson AM
    JN- Gut; 24 (2) p127-35
    CP- ENGLAND
    PY- Feb 1983
    AB- Hypogonadism, infertility, and sexual dysfunctional occurrence
        in men with coeliac disease.