Date:
Mon, 25 Jan 1999 13:43:51 -0800

I was diagnosed with gluten enteropathy in June of 1997.  One of my many
symptoms was anemia, a B12/folic acid deficiency, not iron deficiency.
I have received semi-monthly B12/folic acid injections since the summer
of 1997, and my blood tests since the injections come back normal,
although the hemoglobin is usally in the low normal range.  Now to my
question for those of you in the know.  Does a person have to have these
shots for the rest of their life?  Or once your body has recooped,
so-to-speak from the gluten assault, will there ever come a time when
these shots will become unnecessary? (Prior to the shots, I did try the
B12 dots under the tongue, but it didn't help me.)  I have posed this
question to my doctor, and he doesn't have a answer for me. And so far,
he hasn't been willing to test the waters to see if I can be normal
without the shots. So if there are any of you in cyberpace that can
answer to this question, I would appreciate an answer.

Candice in California