From:
Richard Jackson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Jackson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Apr 2004 09:48:10 -0700

An acquaintance of mine has a 5 year-old who is intolerant to wheat.

His parents have removed wheat from his diet.

I understand that there has been improvement.

They live in the Seattle area and haven't been able to find a professional who can answer their questions.

The parents are planning to reintroduce wheat into the child's diet.

I feel strongly against that and believe that an Igg blood test should first be done to determine if there is a Gluten sensitivity or Celiac Disease.

If there is Celiac Disease then referral to a Gastroenterologist for further testing is the process that I had followed.

The National Institute of Health website for Celiac Disease is one source that I have used which outlines some of the effects of the disease.

Dr. Wangen, ND in Bothell, WA at 425-398-1254 and website www.foodallergysolutions.com has been helpful to me.  He normally speaks at the Gluten Intolerance Group/Celiac meeting held at Overlake Hospital in Bellevue, WA. at 7pm on the 3rd Thursday of each month.

Does anyone have any experience with Gluten Intolerance ance possible Celiac Disease in a young child?

I was 10 yrs old when Celiac Disease began in me based upon a hereditary gene. The disease was activated as a result of an emotional trauma.

It wasn't until age 55 that the true diagnosis of Celiac Disease was identified and remedial therapies were begun to bring me out of malnutrition through the use of a partially metabolized proten product called Medipro from Thorne Research.

I will be on a Gluten Free diet for the rest of my life as any ingestion of Gluten will decimate the villi or the 'receptors' that permit absorbtion of nutrients into the blood.

With the 'villi' decimated that capability of absorption is greatly lessened (there are some membranes in the body that also absorb nutrients) and chemical imbalances and organic dysfunction have occurred in my body.

One question that can be asked, is the person experiencing behavioral problems.

Dr. Neppe, an MD a Pharmacologist has a book available online which answers these questions in chapter 5.

The book, 'Cry the Beloved Mind' by Dr. Vernon Neppe of Seattle is available online and can be downloaded to your computer.

Does anyone have any experience with a young child having Gluten sensitivity?

Thanks, Richard