From:
Don & Sue Laughrey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Don & Sue Laughrey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 May 2004 20:54:22 -0500

I want to thank the 41 people who responded to my message and questions about my unusual experience of not reacting to eating a wheat flour cookie by mistake.  I am 3.5 yrs biopsy diagnosed and the first 2 yrs got very sick twice after accidental ingestion(eating out).  I have summarized the comments rather than pasting them here.

13 people had the same or very similar experience in the past.

10 people said not to question the diagnosis if biopsied.

Numerous people said dont go off the strict gf diet due to damage to the villii.

A few said everyone reacts differently and may be tied to the amount of gluten.

A few said we are more sensitive the first year or so to gluten exposure.

Some said that after total healing we may be able to tolerate large amounts of gluten without reacting.

Some said they never did react to gluten even tho they were confirmed with a biopsy.

A few said they reacted to large gluten ingestion a few days later and payed heavily for it.

A few said they had my same experience so went off gf diet only to suffer severly days later.

And finally a lot of folks said congratulations on the strict gf diet and keep it up.

thanks again
Don