Date:
Sun, 4 Mar 2001 09:48:58 -0500

My request was made a while ago, so sorry it has taken me so long to
summarize.  My husband had a very good trip to Rome.  People are very
accommodating and restaurants either read the card from "Against the
Grain" and prepared the food accordingly, or they knew about cooking
gluten free!  Below is list of the ideas that were sent to us.  He
followed many of them (and the dessert was excellent!).

- Most Restaurants are English speaking.

- Add to your card "no farina" which means "no flour."

- Pack one extra suitcase and put in a hotplate, universal converter,
mess kit, GF canned soup, snacks, Hormel pepperoni, cookies, rice
crackers.

- There is a support group in Florence that is in "Against the Grain":
Italian Coelic Association, Piazza Costituzione Italiana, 2, 1-50063
Figline Valdarno, Frienze Italy.  Contact:  Sr. Adriano Pucci.

- The Italian Celiac Association is: www.celiachia.it/

- "Schar" is a gluten free brand found in drugstores.

- Use the restaurant card found in Against the Grain. (Add the word
"patata" for potato.)

- Carry food for the plane and hotel room.

- Waiters are very helpful.

- Risotto is a very good.

- For breakfast there are juices, fruit, yogurt.

- For dessert, there is Chocolate Gelato (Trufo Nero), and Creme
Caramel.

- Bring your own rice pasta and ask to have it cooked (which they will
do).

- There is a bakery called "d'Arte de Panne."

- Here are two web sites:
     Italian/English dictionary:
        www.cambio.it/aiclazio/estero.htm
     Restaurants:
        www.celiachia.it/ristorat/indice.htm

Thank you to all...you were all so kind and generous with your advice.

Barbara