From:
Bev Lieven <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 4 Jan 2007 11:10:44 EST

I got a question regarding a post I make in early December regarding Vitamin
D.   Unfortunately, that email had formating issues & arrived as garble.  I
sent copies of the original message to those who contacted me but never resent
the message to the listserv  so it's still intelligible in the archives. After
getting a question regarding the achived message, I felt needed to resent it
to the listserv. As near as I can tell, the message below is the information I
tried to post earlier.

Also, a family practice doctor/celiac I met at the Celiac Symposium in
November recommended this book--
The UV Advantage: The Medical Breakthrough That Shows How to Harness the
Power of the Sun for Your Health by Michael F. Holick
List price in $7.99 in paperback....

Below is my original post...Bev in Milwaukee

"There has been a lot of discussion on the Celiac Listserv recently about
supplementing Vitamin D.

Dr. Neil Binkley at U/Wisc has a lot of interesting research on Vitamin
D...One study called for the standardization for measuring levels of D in products
as there are wide descrepancies in what's supposed to be in the package & what
actually is....),  difference between labs and inconsistencies within labs.
I can send the info I have on him if you'd like, or you can do a search at
pubmed.com or even www.wisc.edu

Also, Medscape posts notes a relationship between Vitamin D def & GI
disorders.

IBD
Vitamin D Deficiency Is Common in Children With Inflammatory Bowel Disease
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/548295?src=mp Children with inflammatory
bowel disease (IBD) have a high prevalence of vitamin D deficiency, according to
a new study in the November issue of Pediatrics.
Reuters Health Information 2006

"Patients with Crohn disease who had upper gastrointestinal tract involvement
were more likely to be vitamin D deficient than those without it, according
to the authors. No association was found between serum 25OHD concentration and
lumbar spine bone mineral density or serum parathyroid hormone concentration."