From:
Troy and Amy Budreau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Dec 1999 13:56:23 -0600

Well I finally heard back from Kellogg's regarding the "celiac society"
that said the barley wash was "OK" in the Rice Krispies and Corn Flakes.

 This is the reply I got:

Dear Amy

Thank you for contacting Kellogg's Ask the Nutritionist.

Kellogg's have worked closely with the UK Coeliac Society who are aware
of the small amount of malt flavouring in Kellogg's Rice Krispies and
Kellogg's Corn Flakes.

As you mentioned coeliacs do have different levels of tolerance and in
the UK coeliac society literature to members, they advise members who
are super sensitive to malt flavourings to be wary of consuming our
cereals.

In summary the UK coeliac society recommends that super sensitive
coeliacs need to avoid our malt flavourings but for the general coeliac
population our corn and rice based products are suitable.

We recognize that advice for coeliacs varies throughout the world and
for those reasons we rely on the UK coeliac society to pass on the
appropriate advice.  For information on the US range of Kellogg's brands
we suggest you contact our Head Office 800 9621413

Thank you for contacting Kellogg's Ask the Nutritionist

I called this 800 # and talked to the US Kellogg's--she says that the
malt flavoring they use is a combination of barley sprouts and corn.
She said she would send my request for them to change this to just corn
to the right department.  Maybe if a lot of us called asking the same
thing we could get them to change it back so at least these 2 cereals
would be GF.

Amy
West Branch, Iowa