From:
Tim McKenna <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tim McKenna <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Apr 2004 00:16:22 -0400

From some of the many requests I got to summarize my replies, I take it this
is a really hot topic!!  Anyway, I am sorry it took so long to get back, but
finals week is quickly approaching in school and I had been busy finishing
the semester.

Here's some of the replies I got about leaky gut.

Leaky gut comes with Celiac...it wipes out the villi in the small intestine
resulting in lactose intolerance and malabsorption.  If you had checked the
archives, you would have found tons of info..

I'll summarize for you ....

first of all no cow's mil or cheeses....switch to goat's milk which is a
natural products ..as opposed to soy milk which is all chemicals.....and is
closest to mother's milk

Got gluten attacks take Veratrum Alb 30c, a homeopathic remedy you can get
in the health food store for $5.  2 pills under the tongue will stop
reactions cold.

To build up your leaky gut, take  WITH EACH MEAL, one l-glutatimine capsule
and one probiotics complex.  You will start to feel better within a few days
and your gut will be totally healed in about 5 months as opposed to 5 years
on just a gf diet.

I got this info from my md and my nutritionist who teaches on the graduate
level.

Here's another summary.

A healthy gut acts as a barrier to keep undigested food inside the gut while
allowing nutrients from digested food to pass through into the blood.

If the gut is not healthy or inflamed, the holes that allow this to happen
are larger than they should be. (My favorite visual is a pair of XS fishnet
stocking on an XL lady...same number of holes, just larger than they are
supposed to be.) This allows large particles of undigested food, bacteria, &
viruses to pass through.

Once these particles are in the blood, it's up to the immune system to
remove them. This taxes immune system reserves & can also result in
secondary food allergies as the immune system identifies undigested food
proteins as foreign bodies.

The condition is not unique to celiac and can be caused by non-celiac
conditions.  In celiacs, it would probably be related to the level of
damage.  There are some reports that taking the amino acid l-glutamate helps
heal gut tissue.  The secondary food allergies may resolve after the gut
heals, but it takes time for the antibodies to those food to go away.

And one more.

Who really knows what came first, candida, leaky gut, CD? Guess one will
never know. Leaky gut, from what I understand, usually comes from the
candida, because if you have an overabundance of yeast in your intestinal
tract, it actually pokes small holes in the lining of your stomach, and lets
toxins leak out into your bloodstream, thus the leaky gut.

Very hard to rectify too. You need to treat the yeast first, I would say,
and can't tell you how to do that, but I did it through my Chiropractor. You
need to hook up with a good Naturopathic Doctor, to see if they can help you
get it under control, if this is your issue.  You need to loose sugar,
alcohol, any carbs, period, because all of these actually feed the yeast and
it will keep multiplying. Also, get yourself a good probiotic and I take a
product through Metagenics, called Candibactin, which helps you get good
intestinal flora.  You would have to also have a Chiro or other Natural Doc,
order this from the company, as we can't purchase the products ourselves.

All their products are tested and proven, contain no artificial fillers,
preservatives, no yeast, so , dairy, gluten, etc.  They also back their
products.

I am sure you will hear from many on this list, with much good advice. What
works for one though,doesn't always work for another.