From:
Ted Meshover <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ted Meshover <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Sep 2002 11:05:47 -0400

I was diagnosed with Celiac in February of 2002. We tested our three children and found that our 20 year old daughter was positive on both the blood and endoscopy tests in May. Among many of our concerns for her was how were we going to deal with keeping her on the prescribed diet while she was attending college. I called to speak with the Syracuse University's Registered Dietitian. She scheduled an appointment to meet with our family and her staff, upon arriving for this fall semester. We were greeted by her, the dining center manager and the head chef. In addition they had already gathered many gluten free products and displayed them on trays that they carried out upon meeting us. We shared a lot of information regarding Celiac disease, food allergies and the University's approach to handling students dietary needs with these issues. I was very impressed by their knowledge and willingness to provide anything that would be required to maintain the diet that is critical for my daughter's well-being. After our meeting, they immediately went shopping for things that evolved out of our discussion, like a toaster oven, pots and utensils. These are used exclusively for my daughter. Her meals are made fresh everyday. She discusses what she wants for that day or for the days ahead with the chef and he takes care of it for her. What more can you ask for. I highly recommend Syracuse University for anyone with Celiac or food allergies. Contact me if you have any questions.