From:
Margaret <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Jan 2000 19:36:37 -0500

This is my first summary - please be gentle if I do it wrong!  Thanks to
all who replied to my post.  I got a number of replies that were most
helpful!  I have also learned a great deal just reading the posts from
others.  I also got a number of URLs from list members.  I hope to take
some time over the next few days to check them out.  Thank you very much.  =-)

Q - 1: Spices - I was reading the most of the Mc Cormick spices are gluten
free.  So, does this mean I should for the time consider all the spices in
my spice cabinet are made with gluten?  A few of them say "calcium
silicate" added to make free flowing.

A: Most of the replies said to go ahead and call the company and ask.

Some helpful hints passed on to me:  If I had been baking and might have
contaminated the spice my self - toss it.  Call a few companies each day -
spread the task out and it will not seem to be so over whelming.

Q - 2. http://www.idsl.net/celiac/day2day/day2day.htm -
	   Milk, No-Fat & No-Cholesterol (This new type of milk is the
result of a proprietary, super-skimming process that creates fat-free,
cholesterol-free milk, but it uses a fiber-rich, all-natural fat replacer
made from oats so it contains gluten.)  Could someone clarify this?  Is
this a milk that is only Fat free and also Cholesterol free, or does this
also apply to a fat free milk?

A - I didn't get much input on this question - so I called the dietitian!
She said this  -  in the process of removing the fat and cholesterol - the
process may include adding gluten to make the milk appear more appealing.
(Not so blue)  She did say the label should identify this process - as with
most labels dealing with gluten  - I will follow my gut feeling and start
buying a different brand and maybe buy 1% milk.

For those that said - milk is not necessary in the diet.  I love milk and
will not give that up too!  =-)

Q - 3. Natural Juices (can mean Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein)  - What is
Natural Juices?

A  - Outstanding helpful hints -
If it sez natural flavor or natural juices - call the manufacture.

natural juices - I choose to avoid natural flavors until I know what they
are. In the case of natural fruit flavors, the base of the flavors may be
grain alcohol. As far as meat juices go, a "natural" basting solution (like
in turkey) may contain gluten, so again, unless I contact the manufacturer I
avoid these products.

Q - My doctor asked me if I wanted to visit the dietitian.  Has anyone met
a dietitian who has experience in diabetes and celiac diets?   Has the trip
to the dietitian been worth your time?

A - OK - most of the replies I got were "don't waste your time".   I guess
with this question I was looking for permission to not make yet another
appointment to see yet another health professional.  My calendar is already
full!

The great suggestions I got from those who did see the dietitian:  Call
ahead and talk to the dietitian.  One person made up a log of what they ate
over the last few days before the appointment.

If you have no experience with celiac - follow the above and make that
appointment.  (My Mom is celiac - and I'm more sensitive to what people can
and can't eat than most - I think  =-)

Q - Lastly, is there anyone who is on a high protein diet and also has
diabetes?  Has anyone been able to maintain their weight after being
diagnosed?

A - this was a loaded question!
I got a number of replies.  A few people have been able to maintain their
weight others have become obese.  Since right now I'm eating everything in
site - I need to get a grip on that.

As for the protein - I'm very familiar with the high protein and diabetes.
I have always felt - as a diabetic weight gain is not an option.  So, I
feel if I start to gain weight that a higher protein diet may be an only
option.   High protein  VS being obese?

Thanks again to all of those that replied.   Your input was most helpful.
Margaret

M -  mailto:[log in to unmask]