From:
"Perlman, Jay" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Perlman, Jay
Date:
Tue, 13 May 2008 14:26:23 -0500

My family and I recently vacationed in Florida and had a fantastic
gluten free experience in Orlando and Fort Lauderdale.  My wife and son
have other food allergies as well.  I can't say enough about the staff
at the World Disney Swan and Dolphin restaurants, as well as Epcot and
the Magic Kingdom They were all incredibly accommodating.  In most cases
the chef or manager came out to the table and discussed the allergy
needs with us.  At Epcot, we ate at the Mexican, German, Italian, and
Moroccan pavilions; they would often check with the other pavilions if
they had run out of gluten free buns and get them for us. At the
Dolphin, the chef prepared us gluten-free, egg-free, dairy-free,
soy-free waffles.  The Swan indicated they could do the same.  My 5 year
old son was elated.

We had similarly wonderful treatment at the Marriott Harbor Beach Resort
(www.marriottharborbeach.com)in Fort Lauderdale where I was attending a
conference. On one occasion I spoke with the executive chef at the Riva
restaurant in the hotel prior to lunch and explained all the food
allergies.  He personally went to the local Whole Foods and bought a
bunch of items and reviewed each one with me.  Each time we were there,
the chef would come to our table and discuss our allergy issues and come
up with wonderful meals for breakfast, lunch and dinner.  The chefs
would often personally bring out the meals and review them with us. On
one occasion, someone in the restaurant asked my wife if we were VIPs
because we got such special treatment.  My son was in heaven from the
special desserts they prepared for him.  I can't say enough about the
stress relief of knowing that our allergy needs were being taken care
of.  When we return next year they suggested we notify the hotel in
advance so they can purchase products for us in advance so our
experience can be even more enjoyable.  They even suggested that any
Marriott Hotel would be willing to do the same for guests at their
hotels.  I haven't had the opportunity to test this yet so I don't know
if it is true.

I had to relay our positive experiences to the listserv to give some
hope to those of us who have to be gluten free.