Date:
Sun, 7 Mar 2004 20:47:44 -0600

Special thanks to everyone who responded.  This whole thing started with Emeril's "Peach and Almond Canolli" on the food network (www.foodnetwork.com) recipe from the March 4th broadcast.

Listmate suggested checking at www.google.com - which I did.  The best recipe I found was at www.ciaoitalia.com - they have a lot on their website.  Our good friend Ann Sokolowski suggested substituting corn starch for the flour (one to one) and another suggestion was to use coconut oil instead of vegetable oil for frying. Both great suggestions!

Other suggestions from the list included the following:

1.  The cannoli recipes are at http://italianfood.about.com/library/weekly/aa020701.htm
Chocolate & espresso is the one listed here, but there are the link to more traditional beneath that.

2.  This is one I have used that worked well.  (thanks, Grace)

       31/2 c flour (use your gf mix one with some corn starch)
       1 tea. salt
       1/2 tea. baking power
       4 tabl. sugar
       2 eggs
       1/2 cup red wine
       4 tabl. marg.or butter
       1/2 teas. cinnamon

       Mix all dry ingredients. Beat the eggs, butter or marg. to which you add the wine. Mix together to form a ball. Roll into a ball in wax paper, refrigerate at least hr. roll out to 5 in. squares and deep fry on wooden stick one at a time until golden brown

3.  If you're fortunate enough to live in New York, you can get GF canollis at Cafe Baldo in Wantagh, New York.

THEN, the Food Network had another recipe "Peaches Stuffed with Amaretti Cookies" [I've got to get a job!]

so I went back to the ciaoitalia.com website for the "Almond Cookies (Amaretti)" recipe - it's totally GF, using almonds instead of flour.

So, have fun everyone - and thanks so much for your responses!

Ciao!

Carole