From:
Laurie Topper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jun 2000 07:05:04 -0700

I'm finally posting a summary. I received 133 responses to my original post
about my daughter who was recently diagnosed with celiac and is currently
hospitalized with schizoaffective disorder ( a combination of bipolar and
schizophrenia).

The following is a summary of the replies.

120 people wrote to relay similar experiences with either their children or
themselves. These wonderful people experienced psychosis which was treated
successfully with a gluten free diet.

40 of the above also had to go casein free in order to have successful
results. All reported that any mistake in diet resulted in a relapse of the
psychiatric symptoms.

1 mother told me that her autistic child is on a gluten free, casein free
diet.  He was "lost within hours of his first MMR", and she has tried
everything to bring him back. Most successful was secretin.  Her son can now
tolerate gluten and casein in moderate amounts, however experiences
immediate setbacks without the oral secretin.

Another list member wrote the following:

"There was an article in the Boston globe this Sunday on the teenage brain.
They said that they have learned that the first three years of life are not
where it is all at for neurological development, as had been thought, but
that teenagers have significant growth of the neurological pathways too,
occurring in spurts during teenage years."

- In Denmark schizophrenia is rampant and they have found that a gluten free
diet works well.

- Listmemeber with a family history of schizophrenia & a daughter with
Pdd-Nos suffered psychosis while in college following a bout of mono - she
has found amazing results on a gluten free, casein free diet.  Her psychosis
cleared in 24 hours!  She remains gf, cf.

-  Actress Margot Kidder ( bipolar) states that going dairy and wheat free
was a big part of her recovery.  Dr. Kale Reichert states that you must be
off both gluten and casein for at least 9 months before seeing results.

- WWW.paleodiet.com, www.neanderthin.com - two web sites suggested.  Child
who suffered massive damage following vaccination is recovering on this
diet.

- Mother of a 31 year old son with schizoaffective disorder has his
medication doses dramatically reduced shortly after going gluten free. This
man is currently participating in research about schizophrenia.  Both his
mother and sister are also gluten free but do not suffer psychiatric
symptoms.

- Mother of two celiac children writes that while one suffered psychiatric
symptoms prior to celiac dx, the other did not.

- Dr. Bill Walsh of the Pfieffer Clinic has done much research into
schizophrenia and celiac.  He is a biochemist. Suggested book by G. Gobbi,
Epilepsy and other Neurological disorders in Celiac Disease. ( has a few
pages discussing gluten withdrawal in schizophrenics)

- About half wrote that the psychiatric symptoms worsened during the first
month after going gluten free.

- One man predicts that my daughter will be fine. Suggests that
schizophrenia is a response to the upset caused by celiac, and that once her
gut heals and she learns to stay gluten free she'll be fine.

- Mother of 2 children has a situation that so closely matches my own - it's
just amazing to me.  First son started with problems very young - the
diagnosis added one by one as time went on were as follows:  ADHD, anxiety
disorder, depression, obsessive compulsive disorder, schizophrenia, bipolar,
autism, Asperger, and the " learn how to parent" dx!  Finally celiac was
diagnosed and he is now doing fine - except this past mothers day when he
accidentally ingested some juice with gluten and he had a seizure, and
behavior problems. Her other son has no behaviors troubles, but instead the
traditional celiac symptoms of G.I. and rash - he also ingested the juice
and suffered diarrhea and rash.

- 1 listmate has a friend in her celiac support group with an autistic son
who has found great success in the gluten free diet.

- Many others of you wrote with deep compassion to express your sympathy,
prayers and good wishes for my daughter.

I thank you all very much from the bottom of my heart. I had no idea of the
great response I would receive from my email. I never expected to hear from
anyone, so imagine my great surprise at the tremendous outpouring of
encouragement and friendship from so many of you.

Thank you very much ~  Laurie