From:
"ANDREW E. STEVENSON" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Apr 1996 00:03:10 EDT

OK, this may seem extreme, but is there any reason to be cautious of automatic
dishwashing detergent? We've just moved into a new place, and for two weeks our
daughter has been about the healthiest she's been in months. Yesterday she had a
classic reaction (diarrhea, behavioral changes, yelling in her sleep all night,
the works).

We can identify two possible culprits: 1) We ran the dishwasher for the first
time since moving in, so the silverware, pots, plates, glasses, etc. have now
all been through the automatic cycles. 2) We ate at a Mexican restaurant. We
weren't sure if anything was safe for our daughter, so all we got for her was
plain fava beans and rice (no condiments, sauces, etc.). She then ate lunch at
home.

I couldn't see any problem with the beans, unless the kitchen was careless. But
I also don't know why the dishwasher would be a problem. Anyway, here are the
ingredients from the detergent, Lemon Cascade LiquiGel (this is the first time
I've used a liquid):

Water softeners (potassium and/or sodium complex phosphates, and/or carbonate
salts), cleaning agent (chlorine bleach), dishware, flatware, and dishwasher
protecion agents (sodim and/or potassium silicates), water, thickening agent,
buffering agent, stabilizing agent, colorant and perfume. (ugh!)

Anyone have any experience in this area, before I call Procter & Gamble about
that "thickening agent"? Thanks!

Trisha Stevenson