From:
Veronica Herig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Feb 1999 18:39:41 -0500

This is a summary of the responses that I received regarding my request for
help to relieve the intense itching associated with DH.   I received 30

I'll start off with a list of things that the "list" says triggers itching
outbreaks for them.
8 said stress
4 said Iodized salt
4 said shellfish (shrimp / lobster)
2 said I'm not as GF as I think I am; probably consuming hidden glutens
somewhere
1 said caffeine
1 said hot baths bring out a rash
1 said to avoid casein in milk
1 said be careful drinking tea (all are not GF)

The list of helpful suggestion follows:
3 recommend Dapsone
2 said to avoid Dapsone, "nasty" stuff
2 suggested Cortaid Cream (1% Hydrocortisone)
1 suggested Claritin (allergy prescription, also used for itching associated
with hives)
2 use small doses of prednesone
1 suggested Sarna Lotion
1 suggested witch hazel for temporary relief
1 suggested alcohol for temporary relief
1 suggested Benadryl
1 suggested Rhuli Calamine Spray
1 suggested Neutrogena, Norwegian Formula
1 suggested Diprolene Cream
1 suggested Pscorcin
1 suggested Lidex Gel (prescription)
1 suggested Zonalon (prescription)
1 suggested Temovate
1 suggested Triancinolone Cream
1 suggested a homeopathy formula called Apis 39c
1 suggested mud from the Dead Sea
1 suggested doing Yoga for stress relief

Of course, I couldn't try everything, but the ones I'm using are helping.
I happened to have a prescription of "Claritin" for allergies.  So I started
taking those pills in addition to using Cortaid, 1% Hydrocortisone cream,
twice a day.  The Cortaid cream immediately gives me relief and takes the
away the temptation to scratch.  I also used, on one occasion, the "Rhuli
Calamine Spray".  That too is cooling and also gave me relief.  The only
thing a didn't like about the spray is that it dries leaving a pink
application.   Not too attractive.  My condition happens to be on my legs
(knees to ankle).   However, the rash is far from attractive also!

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Veronica Herig