Date:
Sat, 8 Sep 2007 13:21:41 -0700

Thanks to all who responded.

First, let me make it clear that I have enjoyed this cereal for many years and only appeared to react to it twice.

As any manufacturer who out sources some of their ingredients, Nature's Path cannot be absolutely certain about the status of each. I am in no way trying to discourage celiacs from eating Mesa Sunrise, only to be aware that is may, on the very rare occasion, cause a reaction.

Below are excerpts from the responses -

You  might like to look at a website called Alergygrocer.com (Miss Roben's).  This site reveals which products have contamination potential.  Check out the cereals; you'll be surprised about what the term "gluten free" really means.  Personally, I use only Erewhon and Cere O's

I'm glad you posted in regards to a possible gluten reaction to Mesa Sunrise Cereal. I've stopped buying it because I have had a stomach and intestinal reaction to it when I've eaten it in the past which is a typical gluten reaction for me. I've wondered if I'm reacting to the flax in the product but maybe it's cross contamination. None the less, I don't buy it anymore. You've given me some good insight.

All of the grains in Mesa Sunrise are considered to be safe for celiacs.  However, you may be sensitive to one of these grains.  (( No, I am not.  I said I ate it for several years without incident.))

I was suspicious about this cereal too so I stopped eating it.  I think it's been a year or two since I had it.

By ingredients alone, it's gf.  Bottom line--if you think you're reacting to it, and you feel better when you stop eating it, don't eat it, but it's about as gf _by ingredients_ as a cereal could be. It's always possible that the
processing lines were insufficiently cleaned prior handling to the particular run you've been eating.  ((My point exactly.))

Thank you for posting this message. I also had a reaction to this  cereal recently. I used to be able to eat it before and am very sad  that I can't eat it anymore.

Thank you for this post!  I try to keep gf very strictly, have to really.  Mesa Sunrise is my favorite cereal, but I'll have to let it go now. (( You probably got a less than gf batch as I did.  May not be necessary to leave Mesa out of your diet.))

 I have eaten it with no problem as long as it has been out.

I love that cereal, but haven't seen it in the markets for some time in CA.  Didn't have a reaction when I did eat it.

Thanks again to all who took the time to comment.

Jessie