From:
Adam Schroeder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Adam Schroeder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Aug 2005 14:18:40 -0400

Thanks to everyone that took the time send me their stories!

I got so many requests for the summary that I decided I would post it to the
list for everyone to have access to.

There is a very large debate among many organizations about Marijuana and
its use for medical requirements.  There are also a very large number of
people that use it for pleasure.  The fact that most governments consider it
an illegal drug is another big concern.

Here is a summary of the replies that I received.  Because of the nature of
this discussion, please look at the complete issue before following any
course in regard to this matter.

I am colon cancer survivor 5 years, dx celiac 1 1/2 yrs. Still have chronic
rectal pain, m is only thing that helps. The docs would prefer me to be on
morphine (and destroy my otherwise good health from horrible side effects of
morphine) but I weaned myself off and use just a little m instead and THANK
GOD for it. It makes a TREMENDOUS difference.
Don't use my name or my email publically; so many people are against m but
unless we speak out no one will know. You know there are millions of
"closet" m users, the rest of the world is up to speed on its medical
properties, USA is not. Great pity they lump it with illegal narcotics. One
puff eliminates my urgency, cramping, pain. I am not imaging my relief, it
is real. I am certain I am gluten free also intolerant of corn & yeast too
as so many of us are. I even follow "eat right for your blood type" which
also helps tremendously. You are a brave soul to bring this up, bravo for
you! I am 55, female. Please summarize directly to me, I am certain you are
going to get a flood of emails (hopefully).

Although I use marijuana on a daily basis, it's not "medical marijuana"
and I'm not sure if it even helps me in any way. Probably not the answer
you were looking for.

You sound a little nervous writing about it; are you in the United
States....?

I wish marijuana would be made available to us. I have a lot of allergies,
and things I don't dare eat. I would love something natural to help ease the
pain when I have a transgression, like a reaction after eating bagged
lettuce. Additionally, I know that mary Jane doesn't raise estrogen levels
like alcohol does...for us self-medicators, and so I would rather like to
smoke a little weed than risk breast cancer...sigh...we children of the
sixties should have more clout...maybe this should be an AARP issue...

Hi, my cousin and I have both done this. We found it EXTREMELY helpful!
((not sure of what else to say)) We found it decreased our nausea, bloating,
gas and made us "feel better" overall. Now that we are healed gut-wise we no
longer use marijuana medicinally except in those gluten accidents. I would
be interested in a summary as well!

Hi Adam - Thank you for bringing up this subject. I self medicate with
marijuana for the relief of symptoms that include fibromyalgia and "brain
fog". I find that small doses of marijuana eliminate that fuzzy headed
feeling so I can operate my business or study for school. I would be useless
without it! I also use it to regulate my auto-immune reaction to gluten.
About 22 hours after ingesting gluten I start to get heart palpitations with
general weakness and a tingling in my central nervous system that shoots
into my hips. If I can get to a quiet place, take one toke of marijuana and
meditate for an hour or so, I can usually shut my immune response down and
prevent a week of ligament pain and exhaustion.

My greatest concern with using is not over using. If I limit myself to a
very small dose, I get clean energy - as in focus and ambition. If I use too
much, I loose the intellectual focus that I need for work and just end up
cleaning the house and cooking for hours. Either way its an enjoyable,
relaxing experience that doesn't seem to bother my liver the way coffee or
alcohol does. On what may be a side note, my mate thinks it makes me more
loving and affectionate. Maybe love is the cure :-)

had a friend in college back in the middle ages, who used pot
occasionally.  He had a stomach ulcer and the only time it ever really
bothered him was when he went on a pot binge.  He didn't know if it was the
pot that aggravated it or if it was due to the stress of worrying about
getting caught.  My guess is, if a drug causes an increase of hunger, it's
likely to cause an increase in the flow of gastric juices including stomach
acid, so that may be the mechanism that irritated his stomach ulcer.

However, knowing that many bowel diseases are the result of a stomach acid
deficiency, perhaps increasing the stomach's gastric fluids, may have a
beneficial effect on digestion, motility, etc. which would seem to lessen
symptoms of IBDs.  Just a guess.

Absolutly, pot allievates stomach cramping, and truly is the only thing
except ALeve that does.

Marijuana has and does help; it has maintained appetite, eased anxiety and
assisted in coping with pain; during the 40 years that it took to get
diagnosed, it now appears it may have been the love marijuana that kept me
alive until the diagnosis finally came. Marijuana should be legalized,
regulated and taxed (as are tobacco and alcohol). It's current illegal
status only creates an easy money-making opportunity for criminals and
terrorists.

The first time I ever smoked weed was when I was 40 and was in horrible pain
with my stomach and was nausiated (before I was diagnosed celiac) and my 15
year old son said Mom, you really should try some of this stuff... He called
my old boyfriend and I did. I felt better within minutes. I would think the
FDA would have a lot less to worry about if this was legal than they do by
letting Drs. get everyone addicted to morphine so they have to steal to buy
drugs. Oh, yeah, that would make sense... It's easier to let us suffer or
tell us it's all in our heads. Marijuana is definitely great for the cramps
and nausea from gluten and even chemo. I'm all for it!

Hi, my cousin and I have both done this. We found it EXTREMELY helpful!
((not sure of what else to say)) We found it decreased our nausea, bloating,
gas and made us "feel better" overall. Now that we are healed gut-wise we no
longer use marijuana medicinally except in those gluten accidents. I would
be interested in a summary as well!

howdy, i use it as needed, mostly for nausea or lack of appetite,
works wonders, fast and efficient. too bad more folks don't use it...

Gee, is weed gf?  When I first started having stomach problems and horrible
stomach pains and cramps I tried it for the first time in my life.  It
helped.  I was not diagnosed with celiac for 4 years though and did not use
it but a few times because of it's unfortunate illegal standing.  I was one
of the sad few though that instead of being able to sleep wonderfully was
unable to sleep without continuous dreams and very unrestful sleep.
Wouldn't you know!  Havn't tried it in years but would like to hear of
other's experiences

Ok! Take this as a joke but once you've taken marijuana, you might still
have symptoms, but you just don't care anymore... Keep smiling! Life is
beautiful.

I hope that you will receive info that you can post in a summary - it would
indicate that people are actually getting access to medical cannabis or are
discovering beneficial applications for its use. I know that our university
has a professor who designed a suppository so that the drug could be made
available in a form less likely to be subverted for recreational use (they
also removed the "high" component, though it seems to me that appetite
stimulation itself would be part of what would make people feel better). I
don't know what the mechanism of action is for cannabis, but seems as though
much evil in the body is the result of inflammation, so perhaps it has an
anti-inflammatory effect without the assault on the gut that aspirin and
NSAIDs offer...